Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LAst week my little brother picked up a 92 formula plus  583 w/o RAVE for a couple hundred bucks.  Guy he bought it from overheated it,  scoring a piston & cyl. wall.  My question is if I should get a new used cylinder to stay stock sizes or to hone both out.  Any info appreciated.  Also cost would help.  He is only 15 yrs old & don't have lots of cash.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If just one cylinder is scored, hone it out and use the oversize piston. Put new rings on the other one. Pistons for those should run around $100.00 with rings from Doo. Guys around here get $45.00 to hone and fit a cylinder. $200.00 should have her runnin'

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey nick I just put a weisco kit in my 94 fz 583 and the kit was just under 300$ and another 100 to bore both cyl so that should be the most you will have to drop.If you want to go low buck you will need to tear her down first to see how bad the cyl`s are . I would recomend you bring it to a machine shop and let them advise you weather or not if you can just hone and run it. good luck

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hey Horsecollar, I just noticed you didn't change your location, You hale from RUBICON now so maybe you'll get more snow now. goodbye.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Neph Nick - you needed a job - did matty picker up at Slinger?
Check out the triple in the Classifieds - gotta unloader

Toadie sucked the end off his plug last spring and scored the PTO side - bored er a few thou over, new piston, and a few rings and the 6500 mile 670 block is singing in the wind

Later Uncle Skippy

·
Registered
664 Posts
Uncle Horsecollar, You must be the Unc that Nick always talks about, you finally joined S-world eh?

·
Registered
664 Posts
He's growin' up to fast now with that house he bought though, All he used to talk about was ROTAX, now all he talks about is how broke he is, he he

1 - 9 of 9 Posts