Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 92 phazer yesterday, I put about 8 miles on it just messin around and i noticed i went through alot of gas. I was looking under the hood today and it seemed like there was some sort of gas leak. Anyway I tracked it down to the right side carburetor bowl i tightened the 17mm bolt on the bottom of the bowl hoping that would stop the leak but that didnt help.

Tomorrow i am going to be taking off both carbs i guess. It looks easier to take off both. Is there a seal or rubber gasket around the bottom of the bowl or is there way it could be leaking out of the bolt. Im just wondering what i should look for in terms of locating and fixing the leak.

Also would a gas leak such and mine cause the right side cylinder to run lean?

One more thing i was looking at the carbs tonight and figuring out what need to be removed and im not sure how exactly to remove the choke cables from the carbs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Choke cables just unscrew from on top. Grab a wrench, unscrew them, and CAREFULLY take them out. You have to make sure that you don't lose the springs and plungers off the end of the cables. the tension of the spring is really the only thing that holds the plunger on the end.
Also, there is a seal around the bowl, but I'm betting that's not your problem. I'd be willing to bet that it's one of 2 things. 1.) Leaking where the fuel line attatches (check to make sure there's a good tight clamp holding the fuel line on). 2.) Leaking out from somewhere else due to stuck needle. (Or even worse..... someone re-assembling the carb and losing the needle so there's not even one in there.) Under the float, there's a needle. It's kinda square, pointed at one end, and there's a springy pin in the other end. After you take off the bowl, carefully remove the float, then make sure that needle is there for starters.... if it is, take it out and make sure that the spring is working fine by pressing on the pin that's on the bottom of the needle. If it springs back out, it's ok. And, check to make sure there's still a good sharp point on the top end of the needle. If there's something wrong with this needle, then the carb will continuously be filling up with gas causing it to "overflow".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i took the carbs out tonight and the gas was coming out of the bowl around the sides were the rubber seal is so i went to the yamaha dealership and ordered the $7.00 rubber gasket im hoping this can fix my leak thanks for the help.

·
Registered
137 Posts
not a bad idea, but i had a problem with an older exciter that the gas was flowing out of the little overflow lines, and it was because the carb needed a GOOD cleaning...make sure to clean those babies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the gasket in tonight and so far no leaks but now there isnt much snow on the ground. Also before installed the bowl i noticed that someone overtightened the bolt on the bottom of the bowl and bent it in alittle so i straightened that as well. Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts