Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Indy 500 Classic runs great until I have to run on a packed trial or ice for any length of time.
The temp light comes on.  The technician can't seem to figure this out.  Please help.
new belt, new plugs this season.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If the trail is packed to the point that there is no snow dust you will run hot as you need snow to contact the heat exchangers to cool it same goes for the highfax it take snowdust to lube the highfax to keep it and the trackclips from overheating which is the number one cause for blowen tracks as the excessive heat kills the kevlar rods in the tracks and causes the rubber to seperate and blister.
So if there is no snow don't ride.
ps There is a company that makes ice scratchers that may help your problem,also studs will help to brakeup the packed stuff.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Does your water lines hold pressure? Are your plugs burning clean and do not have traces of antifreeze on them?

When was the last time you had flushed your cooling system and changed the coolant?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I JUST REPLACED MY RADIATOR CAP , AS THE OLD ONE WAS NOT HOLDING PRESURE!  

ALSO YOU CAN REBUILD THE WATER PUMP.  

HOPE THAT HELPS!!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Have you checked the water pump belt, behind the rewind cover.  The pulleys are aluminum which wears out. The belt wears into the pulley making the belt lose and the belt slips and doesn't turn the water pump.  Have seen this more times than I can count.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have run into this problem before on hard packed trails.
What I do on this type of trail condition is too go off to the side of the tail and spin some fresh snow up underneath the track, this will work well if there is uncut snow to the side of the trail. I do this frequently when I see this type of trail condition so the engine will not overheat.
If your red light comes on you may have to pull over, and shut down and pack your running boards with snow to help cool off.
Good luck, and don`t blow er up!!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Did you check the water pump belt I am 100% sure it is too loose and slipping.  Let us know when you figure it out.  Also if the motor has been rebuild and the head gasket was put on backwards these motors will overheat then to.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If his waterpump belt was loose or that gasket was in wrong it would over heat 100% of the time,but since it is only when running on ice or hardpacked trails that is not the problem.
I repeate the problem is lack of loose snow to kick up on the center heat exchanger and if you keep riding in these conditions the track will start to blister as it is not getting any lube and it will overheat also.The only cure for this is to install some Ice scratchers of somesort on the sled also more wheels in the skid will help with the trackproblems that will also come with running in these conditions..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts