Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems that after all the work and troubleshooting that my sled still will not run. For those of you that haven't followed my original post here's the link Part one
So after cleaning the carbs and replacing the plug boots and plugs gapped properly the sled started, but would not idle and would flood rather quickly. Some digging by Thumbdoctor and we found the correct settings for my carburators. Fast forward to yesterday 17 Feb.
I installed the newly set carburators and tried to start it; nothing not even a pop. I did notice what appeared to be a fuel leak at the right fuel pump and or fuel line, so I pulled both pumps, rebuilt them and replaced all the fuel lines correctly. I took pictures before removing them to make sure everything whent back the right way. I did notice that the fuel pumps will free flow (gravity feed) while I was reinstalling them today (not sure if that matters) I reinstalled the carbs again (no overflow) and still I have nothing. :cussing: I checked the spark tonight with an inline tester and it is present, although I still don't think it is strong enough.
I'm not sure where to go now. Do I reset the idle mix to 2 3/4 like they were before (at least it ran a little) or do I look at other possibilities. Thanks to all those who have been helping me along the way. Hopefully before the snow is gone I'll be able to get a ride in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have followed your problem much like mine. adjusted floats all now I am running great starting all. same as you flooding and all!!! My idle mix screw is set to 1 1/2!! not geting the flooding either anymore but still tend to turn gas off haha. one other thing that I did do is to go to a br8es plug. I know this is one heat range hotter plug. and I do agree the spark is not very hot (bright) for the last week and half not a problem flooding or starting with in the 3 to 5 pull and I only prime 3 times if not running by the 3rd pull I will prime 2 more times last year and before allways problems!!! this was the 3rd time for rebuilding and adjusting!! the float leval was set at 19mm hope this all helps good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have followed your problem much like mine. adjusted floats all now I am running great starting all. same as you flooding and all!!! My idle mix screw is set to 1 1/2!! not geting the flooding either anymore but still tend to turn gas off haha. one other thing that I did do is to go to a br8es plug. I know this is one heat range hotter plug. and I do agree the spark is not very hot (bright) for the last week and half not a problem flooding or starting with in the 3 to 5 pull and I only prime 3 times if not running by the 3rd pull I will prime 2 more times last year and before allways problems!!! this was the 3rd time for rebuilding and adjusting!! the float leval was set at 19mm hope this all helps good luck[/b]
Thanks for the input. I was thinking about jsut trying different idle mix settings, so I guess the next one is to try 1 1/2. My floats are set to 18 1/2. Thanks for the fuel shut off idea, can't hurt. I have pleanty of br8's and was thinking that also. Is there an easier way to adjust the mix screw? I have to pull my carbs everytime I need to adjust them, also is there an initial setting for the idle screw? I hate to have mine set too low from the beginning. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
45 Posts
yah it is a pain!! Found that you are able to adjust them better that way!! also make sure the adjustment is correct for the throttle adjustment! Only way is if the carbs are off also mine were off a little also. (make sure the handle bars are straight! and the carbs are straight out. make sure U use the side that faces the engine!!. made that mistake the first time OPPPS)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also make sure the adjustment is correct for the throttle adjustment![/b]
Can you explain this in more detail please. I'm not messing with anything tonight as it's only 10* out right now. Tomorrow should be warmer so I'll be into it then. Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So tonight I had about a half hour of light to work with, and this is where I got. I readjusted the mix screw to 1 1/2 and got nothing. Tried br8 plugs gapped at 16 and nothing. Pulled carbs and went to 2 full turns out. Still nothing. She ran at 2 3/4, just very poorly and no idle. Tomorrow night I'll try 2 1/2 turns out and see what happens.

I'm still curious about the idle screw (RPM) initial settings. It doesn't seem that both slides are open the same at idle, but they are both about 1/4 inch or so above the throat when WOT. They do open at the same time, but I'm curious about the differance at idle. Thanks for everything

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
What happens when you put some fresh gas down the spark plug holes and pull it.
Check that your exhaust system isn't blocked with snow or a mouse nest. Disconnect your muffler from the pipes and try it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You need to isolate the problem to move forward.I don't think the pump should free flow but I'm not 100% on that.

If you think you are flooding install a fuel shut off valve if one does not already exsist.Close it Pull the lines off the carbs.Put fresh plugs in & pull it over. Does it run for a bit until it runs out of fuel? If the answer is no pull the plugs, are they wet? If the answer is yes you will have to do this until there not. Some motors have drains in the crankcase-I'm not sure on yours...

If The plugs where dry give it a shot if premixed fuel either down the carb throat or right under the spark plug & try again. DO NOT remove the carbs & try to start if may bge flooded & you will be Wide Open.....

See if you can get it narrowed down to to much fuel, not enough, to weak of spark etc etc ,once you're there it easier to get help to get it from there...

You have done work on the pump & the carb, by shuting them off & adding fuel manually it will let you trouble shoot & work backwards.

Good Luck

Devo

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also as stated above take that exhaust off & make sure it's clear, if your unsure leave it off to get it running...

I have came across 2 sleds this year with this problem...(my xlt & it made the head gasket leak) & an old yammy

Devo

·
Registered
45 Posts
On my sled the gas will flow out through the fuel pumps! that is why they have fuel shut offs on them! Most of the time the Float, needle and seats keep the gas from flowing! but some times this doesn't do it. More so when the sleds are on trailors or not on leval ground!!
Also checking for build up from what ever in the exhaust is a great idea!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make sure the carbs are synchronized. Both throttle flaps must open at the same time. Might be a loose screw holding the throttle flaps to the synchronizer shaft. I had the same problem with my sled. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all who answered. I have tomorrow off, so I'll get into it. I'll let you know if I find anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts