Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine has either a '93 or '95 wildcat mt. cat 700 EFI. His sled will idle fine all day long, but as soon as you go to give it gas, it bogs and dies. Then it takes a hundred pulls to get her started again and then it does it all over again. He took it to the shop end of last year and they told him something about the battery to the EFI not getting enough charge or something, so he got a new battery for it, and still made no difference. Another strange thing is his EFI box makes a "ticking" noise. He took it back to the shop again and they told him it wasn't a bad EFI box as I had suspected.(why he took it back from the shop without it being fixed properly is beyond me)
The only other things that I can think of based on the symptoms is possibly a pinched fuel line, something terribly wrong in the clutching, or bad regulator not giving the battery enough juice to power the EFI properly. ???
I haven't had a chance to look at the sled myself, so this is all according to what he has told me. Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If ti is a bad battery, when you try to start the sled and there is not enough juice in the battery, the fuel pump will tick!!!I know on my ext if the battery is not charged or the recharge system malfunctions the sled will die !! Sounds like your bud has a sensor problem.....I know my dads 95 ext had the same symptoms as your buddy!! The sled would start but wouldn't move....I'll check with him to find out what sensor bought the farm

If there is not enough juice in the battery the sled should not run, period!!The efi runs off the battery so therefore if the sled is running the efi is working somewhat!! Just my no sense 2cents

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I was going to say the fuel pump...isn't strong enough to deliver fuel under a load.

A

·
0 Posts
I would be more inclined to say it would be a bad ground somewhere.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I just talked to guy last week about that problem, he said there was service bulliten that Cat put out about replacing a cellanoid, I'll make sure it was cellanoid. He said his dealer changed it 5 years latere (under warranty). Some dealers new about it and some didn't. Check with your dealer and ask about it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
It sounds to me also that some sensor is bad. I would take it to a GOOD dealer and have him diagnose it. Do not support dealers that do not offer acceptable service.

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is what I would do.

Check the gound for the computer (I think it is near the stearing post).

Check the battery

Check the voltage regulator

Check for pinched fuel lines.

Check the Fuel Pump

Check the Stator resistance

Check Coil resistance

Check the O2 Sensor resistance

Make sure that headlight and tail light are working (if there is a loss in voltage computer thinks there is a problem)

All else fails, it is possible that the Throttle Position Sensor is out of wack, you will need special tool to realign it.

newf

Last edited by newf at Oct 8 2002, 07:20 PM

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm going to give him a hand later this week and take a closer look at his sled. I'm sure out of everything suggested here we will get her going again! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Just talked to the guy that had problems with his 95 wildcat efi. I don't know if it was a problem with 93s or not but it was a starting relay that there was a service bullitin that cat put out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It's sounds most likely a fuel problem...

It's either a bad fuel pump, bad fuel pressure regulator, or a bad tps switch. Possible that it could be a partially plugged fuel pump sock/screen in the tank.

(Someone mentioned a O2 sensor-there is no O2 sensor on that sled.)

The BEST way to diagnose this problem is to hook up an inline fuel pressure guage and see exactly what the pressure is at idle and then when you give it some gas. That would tell you if you have enough fuel pressure. If you do have enough fuel pressure, then you problem will be in the electrical-be it a tps switch or tha ecm(computer) or wireing problem...I would say the wireing problem is a longshot, considering that it starts and idles fine.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Derek, what do you suppose the ticking is in the EFI, or do you think that is a seperate problem all together?
It's very likely that its a plugged fuel screen or filter. I guess his sled hasn't been running right for years now. It is in sad shape, he brought pics to work. Still haven't had a chance to get over to look at the sled yet though.

Last edited by phazerhater at Oct 11 2002, 02:05 PM

·
Registered
403 Posts
The ticking sounds like it might be the normal sound that the injectors make evrytime they spray fuel...

·
Registered
757 Posts
It might have been mentioned before, but if the battery is low in charge, the fuel pump will click. It's sad bad to hear about another classic not being cared for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts