Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is looking at a 94 XLT with 1700 miles. The thing looks mint. From what I've heard they are a pretty strong sled but wanted to see if any of you had any good or bad experiences with them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
good sled for its time, around 93 h.p. stock.only thing was the cranks where not very strong, they need a pto though boy kit from slp if your going to run pipes or other mods. it has the older suspension in it, the good suspensions didnt come out till 96

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
i agree with ves, not very good suspension, but my 93 is a machine and a half for reliability, also it is pretty fast too! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
They're a really good sled, except that the cranks gave trouble like the guys all said. I had a mod '97 XLT and put over 3200 miles on it before the crank gave out, and that was spinning at 9400 RPM. Just check to see if any pipes were ever on it because the reliability does go down when this is done, but if it only has 1700 TRUE stock miles on it, it should be fine.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Man, you people amaze me. All replies say good sleds but bad cranks. Well if that's the case, I would think that these sleds are not that great. I guess if you want a good sled with a bad crank, tell you friend to get it. ???

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sled is stock and has always been that way from what I can tell. It hasn't even been studded. He is asking $1500 for it. Seems fair. I know the prices on doo's not too much on Polaris.

·
Registered
120 Posts
well I bought a 93 XLT with 930 mi. on it..it now has over 3000 on it and it is still running strong without a problem.
got a friend with a 94,it has over 4000mi. not a problem
I have heard about the crank problems,and was told that if you don't mess with the motor it is a great machine,if ya need more power ya need to change the crank.

as for the suspension,anything made that early is outdated

·
Registered
340 Posts
A great sled bone stock. Start slapping pipes and clutch kits on them, and you will uncork about 15 more hp, but turn them into a 9000 rpm chaincase and crank granadeing boat anchor. I would definately stay away from one that has been modified. Good luck,
Rich K.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a 94 XLT SKS and it was a good sled ,although it was a 580 it was actually faster than my 95 XLT SKS which I use as a back up for my RMK 700 ,98 ,a real piece of @#$% ,my 95 xlt went over 4500 miles before I had to do any clutch work ,since my 700 came apart again I will be riding it this year ,run it stock or it will be a problem!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the 94 and 95's were alright, it was the 96 and 97's that had problems with the pto side crank bearings not receiving enough oil. Believe they added an oil line to the bearings on the 98's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts