Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My '95 GT 580 has pieces of thin, brown "film" in the gas tank, and has since I bought it, used. Some are loose, and flop around in there, and some coat the insides of the tank. It ran fine nevertheless, but after sitting for years, I have to clean the carbs and I wanted to clean the tank. The only way I can see to do this is to take it out and flush it, shaking it around, etc....

The tank does not appear to have a drain, other than the fuel line to the carbs.

How can I get my gas tank out? Although I most of my own automotive work, I can't seem to get a handle on how to proceed with tank removal.

I have been told the only way to do it entails drilling out the factory rivets in the tubing/frame that enclose the tank and front "bulkhead" area (is that the correct term?).

I purchased the complete, factory shop manual, yet cannot find any mention of this, in it. Can someone at least direct me to the section of the manual which covers this?

Thanks, everyone,

Peter

·
Registered
795 Posts
You need to remove the seat. You might have to unbolt the rear rack 1st. Once the seat is off there is a metal strap at the back of the gas tank with 2 springs. Remove that, then pull the gas tank toward the rear & disconnect your lines. Look in your manual on seat removal

1 - 2 of 2 Posts