Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I feel like a 10 year old kid on this board, always asking questions.

BUT WHY??? should be my quote of the day.

I guess you get what you pay for.  Since I only paid $2000 canadian for this machine 2900mi. I should expect some problems.  this one is the latest.

Every once in a while all the lights will become very dim, but they do not go out completely, sometimes it happens after 5 min of riding, and over the weekend I put 200+ miles on the machine and it didn't start until about 2 miles from home.  The lights will usually go back to full brightness after a couple of seconds, and then go dim again.  If I shut the machine down and start it again the lights will be bright again.

It's not a big deal in daylight and I don't even notice it, but as you can imagine, at night its a bit scarry on the trails when your light go dim and you cant see 10 feet in front of you.  The head light brightness is about the same as it would be just as the machine is about to stall at very low rpm but it will be running at over 5000 rpm.

Thanks for your help!

the "BUT WHY?" guy!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
You probably have a wire rubbing on something trying to ground (short) it out. Look under handlebar pad and around steering stem. If you don't find anything there, pull the seat.
It's easy to get the harness pinched reinstalling the seat.This would be assuming you have already checked your connectors to make sure they were completely plugged in and the wires are all full inserted into the connectors. If nothing else, and you can't find it, try just relocating the harness a little one way or another. Stator also a possibility, but that would be unusual
AL

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree it is probably a short somewhere. Start checking every wire. I do this on all my sleds. I will put the plastic wire loom on anything that can rub. While your at it check the hoses. They also rub on things. Look at the one that goes under the motor thru the frame near the exhaust. That one is prone to damage. Fuel and oil filters can rub also and need to be checked or changed while your at it.

·
0 Posts
I agree there is probaly a short some where another reason could be if your draining the juice from it buy having extra accesories like snow glows or sometimes handwarmers...just a thought

1 - 4 of 4 Posts