Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went riding today and the same thing a couple of weeks ago. 95 xlt sks going good through the hills and trees get to the top after about 20 min. of riding and it wont idle (she dies). Not very easy to start and then you have to feather the throttle to keep it runing. While in motion runs fine (lacks some power) but stop and she won't idle just die. I think possibly flooding but why? any suggestions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Spitfire,

Silly question, but did you check / change any spark plugs?

What you're describing sounds like a bad plug or a cylinder that's low on compression or missfiring. Triples tend to be a bit less obvious if a cylinder goes dead.

When it acts-up (while feathering the throttle to keep it running), pull one plug wire off at a time, then replace it. The plug wire that makes the least difference on how it runs, is the culprit cylinder.

1) Check compression
2) Change that plug
3) Check plug wires / boots and coil connections for damage

If it's determined that it's fuel related:

1) Check choke adjustment
2) Check carburetors, especially needles & seats for damage / cleanliness.
3) Check fuel pump diaphragm to see if it has ruptured.

Without going to great details on various systems, you have to determine for sure if your problem is air / fuel /spark or mechanical-related before proceeding. Otherwise I'm just throwing darts at what is the most common problem that plagues 2-stroke engines.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Also check the Idle air ajustment srews see if there out 1-1/2 to 2 turns on the cylinder that has the wet plug after you have checkit the things that Avtech has said.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also check the Idle air ajustment srews see if there out 1-1/2 to 2 turns on the cylinder that has the wet plug after you have checkit the things that Avtech has said.[/b]
Thanks guys I will try all of the above.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Pilot jets, hard to start, won't idle, runs OK at speed, pilot jets. :unsure: Clean them.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Went riding today and the same thing a couple of weeks ago. 95 xlt sks going good through the hills and trees get to the top after about 20 min. of riding and it wont idle (she dies). Not very easy to start and then you have to feather the throttle to keep it runing. While in motion runs fine (lacks some power) but stop and she won't idle just die. I think possibly flooding but why? any suggestions.[/b]
If your belt deflection is too tight or your belt is just getting too hot for whatever reason, it could be dragging your idle down. You didn't mention any squealing sounds but some belts don't squeal they just stop you. Aftermarket belts often can cause this, but a new OEM belt with your belt deflection set too tight will be just as bad. It gets worse as you ride because the belt gets hotter. I'm not so sure that's your problem but I wanted to throw it out there since often it can be really hard to tell the difference between engine and clutch problems. Even if the deflection is right the weight/spring combos could be set up wrong or if you have worn clutch springs your power will be bad and your belt will get too hot.

It sounds like you're saying you don't have this problem when you first start out..maybe I'm reading it wrong...but that's what makes me think your belt is overheating. Might as well comp test your engine but the clutching is something to think about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts