Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 580 since 99. As soon as I bought it i had problems with it it. I would be able to drive it between 15mins-2 hours and suddenly it would bog down and have no power. It seemed if I played with the throttle alittle it would go alittle ways then I would have to repeat the process. Sometimes it would just not move at all because of no power, yet it seemed to idle ok when all this happened. Since 99 I have cleaned the carbs a billion times, rebuilt the engine, and tried my best to check over the electrical. To this days it still does it, it will be fast and well running until it hits that point and starts bogging. I could trash the damn thing it pisses me off so much, but yet I love the sled because when it runs correctly it is damn fast. What I am wondering is if anyone has an idea of where I should start now with trying to figure out whats wrong. Any help at all is extremely appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have owned my 580 since 99. As soon as I bought it i had problems with it it. I would be able to drive it between 15mins-2 hours and suddenly it would bog down and have no power. It seemed if I played with the throttle alittle it would go alittle ways then I would have to repeat the process. Sometimes it would just not move at all because of no power, yet it seemed to idle ok when all this happened. Since 99 I have cleaned the carbs a billion times, rebuilt the engine, and tried my best to check over the electrical. To this days it still does it, it will be fast and well running until it hits that point and starts bogging. I could trash the damn thing it pisses me off so much, but yet I love the sled because when it runs correctly it is damn fast. What I am wondering is if anyone has an idea of where I should start now with trying to figure out whats wrong. Any help at all is extremely appreciated.[/b]

Seems like a electrical problem b/c if it was a carb or mechanical or clutch problem it would happen all the time. Some things that i can think of are shorting out wires, bad cdi, bad coil, weak stator coils Sorry but these sleds are notorious for retarded problems i had a 94 and it was fast when it ran but didnt alwas run, i sold it as was b/c i got sick of waisting my time with it, sorry good luck

·
Registered
980 Posts
You didn't indicate that you bypassed the Throttle Safety Switch (TSS). The TSS is notorious for acting up after a while and is always the first thing to check when the sled starts and idles fine but cuts out at above engagement RPM's. For this sled you need the bypass loop from the tool kit, or you have to make one. Unplug the three prong connector near the base of the handle bars and install the loop, or jump the enclosed contact to the centre contact and see if the engine cuts out above engagement RPM's. The bypass loop will eliminate the TSS from the ignition circuit and also disable the kill switch. The most common fix for a failing TSS is to replace the washers on the throttle pivot pin, couple of bucks and a couple of minutes. If the TSS is not the problem you may have to look at the stator, but always test the TSS first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts