Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought this sled as a basket case. I've got $450 into it so far. I need to assemble the motor, buy a gasket set,slides, and skis.
I bought it to fix and sell.
Will I still be able to make a profit or will I have to ride it to get my money back out of it? :tongue:
Anything I should look at while it's apart?
Any mods that will make it an all around better sled?
Oh! it is EFI.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just recently bought this sled as a basket case. I've got $450 into it so far. I need to assemble the motor, buy a gasket set,slides, and skis.
I bought it to fix and sell.
Will I still be able to make a profit or will I have to ride it to get my money back out of it? :tongue:
Anything I should look at while it's apart?
Any mods that will make it an all around better sled?
Oh! it is EFI.[/b]
i own a 1996 zr 580 efi,i hate to break it to ya but it has been a problem since i bought it,i have repaced the motor,bought a new battery,new skis,30dollars in spark plugs,that arent suppose to foul,i have about 1000 dollars in mine,plus what i paid for it. dont think i could give it away. runs excellent when it runs, which is only for a short time. better off to keep it run it till it blows.will never get your money back.my opinion anyway.i also own a polaris 750 triple. all i can say is what a machine.have had no trouble.runs just like a new one. maybe you should think about a polaris.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i own a 1996 zr 580 efi,i hate to break it to ya but it has been a problem since i bought it,i have repaced the motor,bought a new battery,new skis,30dollars in spark plugs,that arent suppose to foul,i have about 1000 dollars in mine,plus what i paid for it. dont think i could give it away. runs excellent when it runs, which is only for a short time. better off to keep it run it till it blows.will never get your money back.my opinion anyway.i also own a polaris 750 triple. all i can say is what a machine.have had no trouble.runs just like a new one. maybe you should think about a polaris.[/b]
The guy I bought the sled from also has a '97 storm for sale. I would love to own that sled but, I can't afford it.
The problem with the 580 now is the motor was blown up for the second time. I bought all the parts to fix it except the gaskets. I am going to blueprint the engine while it is apart in hopes that I can make it hold up better. If I can sell it for $1000 I will probably just break even but, that would give me enough to buy the Storm.
Should I just convert it to carb? It will loose a little value if I do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it is in good shape, you could maybe sell it for 1k, but that would be pushing it, more then likely you will find an offer of 700 or so.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, after spending a season not being able to ride much because everybody elses sleds were broke. I've pretty much desided to keep it and legalize it next year as a spare. The next issue I have is the muffler. The original is junk. Is there an aftermarket one that isn't stupid loud or, Are there o.e.m. replacements out there?

·
Registered
505 Posts
for what it is worth, I have a 1996 ZR580EFI - been a great sled. Did the intake boots. That is it.

"i have about 1000 dollars in mine,plus what i paid for it"

"30dollars in spark plugs"

It is a 10 year old machine - what exactly are you complaining about? 30 bucks in plugs in 10 years? Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
116 Posts
i guess it all depends ......
i have the 1996 ext 580, which is like the zr but with crappier shocks, and a different motor mount.
this sled has not lasted a whole season without breaking since i bought it 5 years ago.

1st year: blew out lower chaincase gear and chain
2nd year: ring let loose. had to renik 1 cyl, and get full rebuild kit
3rd year: broke front frame under motor. had to completely disassemble front, and weld and brace it.
4th year: wore out 1 six tower, and blew another completely up

for this year i didn't even bother with it, i am just taking my time getting it ready for next year.
i have a polaris edge skid, 1" track, and polaris handlebars that are going in, so i am just taking my time getting it back together

·
Registered
980 Posts
The ZR is going to ride and handle much better than the Storm. For best life out of the engine do not modify it. A long travel skid frame is a great mod. I swapped a TSL skid frame from a ZL into my 94 about 8, or 9 years ago and that is the best money I've spent on the sled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts