Snowmobile World banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at 95 ZR580 for $1500. This is a carb version not EFI, it has 2900 miles so the price does not seem bad. My question would be is there anything that was bad about these sleds?

·
Registered
757 Posts
The price sounds good if the sled's been taken care of and the motor properly maintained.

If you look through the archives you'll find tons of info and alot of nightmare stories on the 580 motor. The general rule I've always been told is to plan on replacing the pistons at or around 3000 miles, make sure the water pump gasket isn't leaking (the front of the motor), and keep an eye on the intake boots (the bottoms rot out). The later two items probably have alot to do with the piston issues.

I have a '95 and IMO the '95 ZR's were one of the best handling sleds ever made. If you maintain the motor properly, you'll have a fun ride.

Good luck!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I too have read a lot of the past posts on the 580 Motor in General. We have a 94 EXT Carb. in the stable yet that is used as a back up now. It has a little over 8,000 miles on it and we have never once had to touch the motor. I think it is a hit and miss with those sleds. Watch what you get though as they were fast sleds in their day and a TON of them were Grass Raced because they were hard to beat. You go beating on an engine like that all the time and you are going to have some problems down the road. I would not be affraid to ask the guy if he knows if it had been Grass Dragged. Just my .02!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is pic. I am going to talk to owner about doing compression test and giving it a good mechanical check.

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
For what it's worth, keep in mind that Cat built TONS of '95-'97 580's. You read about all of the bad experiences but how many have never caused a problem?

It's kind of like researching an automobile on the internet. All you find in the message boards is the bad experience stories.

·
Registered
884 Posts
:withstupid: I could tell you about several 580's that my Friends and Family have owned that we never had motor problems with. Find out if the sled has been Grass Raced too, that can make a big difference on how well it is going to last.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The investment cost being only $1500 would be cheap enough even if it needed to be rebuilt. The guy did tell me that the clutch had been rebuilt just before he got it and he only put 1100 miles on it. Have these sleds had clutch problems? that rebuild would have been at somewhere around 1500 to 1800 miles which would seem premature? unless it was for performance!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I never heard of anything wrong with them. If you look it over good and take it for a little spin first. and read up on it in these posts you should have a decision then. The EXT's had a long history and Rep. so there can't be too much wrong with them.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I almost bought a '95 ZR 580 a few years back. They seem to be a pretty good trail sled for its time, but from what I've heard they don't do well against the 600cc sleds in straight line racing. There are tons of those sleds around and there are several aftermarket options out there though to make them fly. For that price it sounds like a pretty good deal, especialy if the compression test and mech. give it the thumbs up. ;) :thumbsup:

G

·
Originally posted by phazerhater@Nov 7 2002, 12:38 PM
I almost bought a '95 ZR 580 a few years back. They seem to be a pretty good trail sled for its time, but from what I've heard they don't do well against the 600cc sleds in straight line racing. There are tons of those sleds around and there are several aftermarket options out there though to make them fly. For that price it sounds like a pretty good deal, especialy if the compression test and mech. give it the thumbs up. ;) :thumbsup:
I know they didn't have the horse's to keep up with my ZR6.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I haven't raced anything new but I can tell you that the performance of the 580 is respectable for a mid-90's HP motor. I've ridden plenty of XLT's/XCR's of that era and it gives nothing away to those sleds. Like phazerhater says, the newer 600's will probably be faster. Still a fun sled nontheless.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
There is room for improvent on every sled, that's what aftermarket stuff is for. The 580 has been around a long time and there are endless possibilities what you can do to that sled. If you want the sled and want to go faster, just get a set of pipes, performance chip, etc. then you will have no problem keeping up with, or beating stock 600s. ;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a 1996 Zr 580, although it is EFI. From the moment I bought it brand new, it has been nothing but pleasure. Top the oil, she gets fresh plugs every year, the usual maintenance (sliders, bearings, and anything else that can be done in the summer while drinking beer) and never a problem with the motor.

Go for it - you will love it.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
1500-1800 doesn't seem to early to rebuild a clutch to me. It all depends on how hard it was ridden and the characteristics of the motor. Also I prefer to rebuild them early then to wait to long and have to replace parts or a clutch that wouldn't have had to be replaced otherwise.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Since the ZR 580s had the Comet clutches(junk)

Can he put a Arctic Cat clutch on it instead?

·
Registered
884 Posts
To my knowledge, Comet still makes the Clutches, just puts Arctic Cat on the cover!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Could be ???

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 95 EXT580. With a little over 5000 miles on it top speed had dropped to about 50 mph. Rebuilt the clutches and it runs like new again. There is 7000 on the sled now, motor has never been touched, and it will pull past the 100 mph mark on the speedo (takes a while). The biggest failure so far was the chaincase eating a bearing 2 winters ago. Only replaced the bearings and have not had a problem since. The sled was my dad's since new, and I got it off him this summer. Until this winter we used it about 50/50 each, and I have never been too nice to it. He moved downstate and has no time for a sled right now, and wants something newer anyway.

I just ordered new carb boots to replace the old ones. They still look good, but after all the stories I am not going to risk it. Compression is getting low, about 112 psi, but I have rings and gaskets sitting here. I wanna see how far the motor will go. Even if it blows up completly I can just drag it to work and have it done in a night once the parts come in, so I don't care too much.

So in 7 years and 7000 miles the problems have been clutches (once) and chaincase (once). Oh yea, and the bezel around the gauges cracks, then there is nothing to hold them in. I went to get ones off my friends 95 ZR580 parts sled, but they were just as bad. The only other problem was late night riding on an unfamiliar trail and a tree jumped in front of me. That was tough to explain to dad why there was rope holding the right ski to the left so it tracked sorta straight. New ski, tierod, spindle, and A-arm later it was perfect. ???

·
Registered
508 Posts
seems like a good price. I have a 95 zr 580 efi. My intake boots did rot out from underneath and cause problems with the motor. But it was the lack of maintenance on my part that was at fault, not the sled. The clutch was due for rebuild at 4,000 miles. I like the sled and for the price your looking at, I wouldn't hesitate. Just like others have said, depends on how this sled has been maintained and ridden.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts