Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good / Bad experiences with the '96 580's?  A relative is looking at one for a good price.  I forgot to ask which model or if it's EFI or not.  They want this sled as transportation to their water access cottage, so reliability is a huge factor.  All that I could remember about them was the poor gas mileage.  Do you guys have any other info?  Thanks

·
Registered
512 Posts
hum.. I would say no for dependabilty of that 580.. My buddies 97 Zr 580 EFI can be a pain to start some times.. Rides nice. (97 was first year for ETT tunnel, rides alot better). That and i belive that had a problem with the rods coming off or soemthing in them.. Not sure.. Maybe someone else rembers... If you want dependabilty, Get a Polaris Indy 500.. Built proof sled man.. Can' beat it. Or realy any other sled thats a 500. Every one made a good one.. But i realy don't recomend the 580 engine.... Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i have put many hard miles on my 96 ZR 580 EFI and have had no problems whatsoever except for having to replace the intake boots because they had cracked,  i asked my dealer if he has had any problems with the motor in the 96 and he said that he has had tons of 95's and 97's in for engine work but hardly any 96's i guess cat had a good 580 in 96

as for the connecting rod problem that is only for the 97's i have not heard of it at all on the 95's or 96's the only thing i would recommend is that you change pistons and rings every 3000 miles or so because there has been some piston skirt breakage on some of the 580's i would only recommend that if they are riden very agressively i have seen people with 6000-8000 miles on these stock 580 motors with no engine work i guess its like anything you get some good apples and you get some bad apples

·
Registered
156 Posts
Last year was the first time I have had any problems with my 95 ZR580.It has about 3200 miles and they were very hard miles. My clutch came apart last year and have not been able to get it moving since, Hopefully this weekend I'll have it back in shape.

·
Registered
731 Posts
They made a limited run of green 1996 ZR 580 EFI that came with ETT, front skid adjust on the bars, clicker front shocks all stock. I installed the turbo in 96 and it's had a hard life, no problems so far.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts