Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im redoing a 96 600xlt motor for my dad this summer  it has 5000 miles on it  The problem is that he melted the center cyclinder im 100% sure it leanded out . It is all stock I was thinking of  just putting rings in the other two holes and going 10 over in the center . trying to talke him in to milling 10-20 off the head and puting in some Boysen reeds .  will I have to readjust the timming if I do it . Or any other sugestions on what i should do or look for ? NO pipes NO pipes  NO pipes !!!! He whants it  stock!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I would encourage you to stick to your guns on keeping it stock, but I would keep it Completely stock- no head shaving.
I would doubt you would see any benefit from installing the reeds. I'm hesitant about going along with your idea of just running 1 .010 over cylinder. It will throw the engine out of balance, and at 5000 miles, it wouldn't hurt to do all 3 while you have it down.

I have an 8000 mile 96 XLT and the motor hasn't had a problem - yet. The machine is still used pretty regular and with nothing but twins to pick from new, I'm considering going
through the motor this fall in the hope of getting a few more seasons out of it. Planning on installing new outside bearings and seals at the same time. You might want to consider the same, they aren't that expensive, especially in light of all the problems with them.

AL

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi,

Just my 2 cents - Bore all three, its a must.
If you want higher compression ratio you are better off buying billet heads from SLP.
Just another thought, there were so many of these purple headed xlt's that you can find anything used for them. I would look at just buying another mono block from a salvage yard. Much cheaper.

Currious though, isn't your motor a triple piston port? There shouldn't be reeds for this motor type.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
My bad Madsledhead, I should have caught the reeds. I have 4 Polaris triples, the XLT would be the only one that doesn't have them. Sorry for any confusion.

AL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKI-DOO-U-2 @ June 02, 2002, 9:52pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Im redoing a 96 600xlt motor for my dad this summer  it has 5000 miles on it  The problem is that he melted the center cyclinder im 100% sure it leanded out . It is all stock I was thinking of  just putting rings in the other two holes and going 10 over in the center . trying to talke him in to milling 10-20 off the head and puting in some Boysen reeds .  will I have to readjust the timming if I do it . Or any other sugestions on what i should do or look for ? NO pipes NO pipes  NO pipes !!!! He whants it  stock!!!!!!![/b][/quote]
My bad, was thinking of a nother sled that I was working on

·
Registered
1 Posts
bore all three. 5000mi is a lot for that motor. i am sure if you had the cyl/pistons clearanced, they would be out of spec.
leave the heads alone, the fuel is usually poor enough that you never now what quality you are getting.

p.s., if you find reeds on that motor send me a pic of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts