Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there that had a crank failure on a 96,97,98 ski doo triple/triple please e-mail or respond to my posting. If you had any luck getting ski doo to stand behind their [email protected]$k up plese share the info so others may benefit. I am a die hard devoted ski dooer, but my pride has definately been hurt and I am currently jaded towards my second love (Bombardier) at how she has disappointed me. Ski Doo definately had design flaws in the 96,97,98 Mach-1 and F-III triple/triples and they knew it. They sent out service bulletins to the dealers , but didn't recall the sleds or even send out service warnings to the owners of therse sleds. Worse yet when they blow up (not if, but when) they left tens of thousands of once satisfied dooers, hanging out to dry. I find this pretty ironic for a company reputed to be the industry leader to do something like this, they don't even give the replacement parts for free or even at a discounted price, so not only are they [email protected]$#ing us customers, they are making money off of their own engineering screw ups. Enough bithching by me, it's time to hear the concensus of the masses. If we can get together enough people together, I will see what I can do to get Ski Doo to right their what harm their erroneous judgement has caused their reputation, and see if we can't all feel satified in their resolution :angry:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I guess I am lucky then. I have had 9 triple-triple's 95-97 but after breakin I use synthetic oil at full injection rates. In fact my improved stock 1996 F-111 turns 10,350 rpm at it's designed peak, being an improver I premix oil-synthetic. How about Mike Houle dominating his F-111 Class and not blowing a triple for years. I do know it can happen, I bought a sled that had replaced under warranty at 120 miles. I wish you way better luck in the future! It sounds like Cat when the first Zr 600 twins came out- no recall to begin with but the dealer in West Yellowstone had 90 new engines on hand within a month of release, but customer knew nothing of the problem. Large companies will try to cut corners, we should be paying less for our sleds and parts because of our dollars strength over the Canucks, for our new Doo's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had my 96 Formula III 600 triple blow the bearing on the PTO side of the crank this past weekend, taking out the piston on that side too.  I started doing some research and it appears I'm not the only one!

Any recommendations out there from those that have gone through this?  

I want to get it fixed (especially since I've only put 20 miles on it personally since I bought it from another private party).  I'm hearing quotes anywhere from $800 on up to new sled prices.

Any recommendations on reputable place for service? I'm in SE Wisconsin (Kenosha County).  I'm more than willing to drive awhile if I can get it fixed and done RIGHT!

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
A buddy of mine got a 97 Formula III 600 and his went to pieces last week, i mean pieces when we took it apart it was completly ruined, pistons, cylinders, and crank. ???  He had 5500 kms on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
 ???  :angry:
Bad news just in; called the shop and they finished tearing down my motor: crank is beyond salvage, bearings sucked up and chipped nikasil in two cylinders, two pistons shot, two intake boots melted.....$1700.00                                 Damn am I proud to ride SKi Doo,I had to get towed back by a 98 polaris with 7800 miles that hasn't been through anything other than plugs and fluids. Who else can you throw em $6500.00 bucks for a machine thats good for 2500 miles and have say thank you for your business. but f#@k you thats your problem our triples are junk. Starting to make cat or polaris look real good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, the FIII 600's were known for their bottom end bearing failures.  What I have been told from Skidoo techs was lack of oil getting into the bearings.  I run Amsoil racing oil in my '97 FIII at stock oil settings.  This will give the engine extra oil since the Amsoil flows better than other oils.  It does smoke a lot though.  Just had the engine rebuilt after 5500 km.  Some of the bearings were rough even running Amsoil.  Engine probably would have grenaded in the next 1000 km.  Suggest running synthetic, and having engine rebuilt every 4000Km.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Seen bad crank on 97 mach1 2 97 machzs, 1 98 formul;a 111700 and 1 96 formula111600. Between the cranks and the stators I agree something should have been done.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Next time you get the engine rebuilt have the dealer make the oil jornals bigger buy drilling them out.  That will give the bearings more oil.  THat is the fix.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Frustrated or skidmarks.....  Email me at [email protected].  I know of a triple crank for a couple hundred bucks at a local dealer in  East Central WI.  He stands behind it 100%..... It was there a few months ago and I almost bought it just to have.  Dont remember if it came out of a 98 mach 1 or Z, but I can find out if you want me to.b  It will save you a few hundred bucks instead of buying a new one.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My 96 F111 600 was bulletproof too untill the day the crank bearings went at 6995km/ about 4000 miles. took out one cylinder and piston too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mxz7
I'm sorry if if this posting hurts your feelings, but the whole point of it is for Doo triple owners to band together and try to get some help from ski doo. If your personal brand loyalty prevents you from sympathizing with Doo riders nationwide who have been wronged, then I'd say shame on you.
We are all devout ski doo riders here, we spend tens of thousands of dollars dooing, we therefore expect that our purchases will be worhty of those hard earned dollars. So when sleds start blowing up with 1000-3000 miles on them (and were talking probably better than 75% of the 97/98 triples out there) we expect our loyalty to pay off and ski doo to stand behind their products and help us out.
So thats why our series of posts seems negative, it's not to bash the DOo, its to get to the bottom of this probleem collectively. So the more input we have regading this problem from those who have experienced it, the more knowledge we have regarding the extent of it.
 ???

·
Registered
95 Posts
SkiDoo isn't alone in tripple crank bearing failures. I ride with a lot of pols tripples and they are experiencing the same conditions and are using the same remedies. I have a 95FIII 600 and at 2000miles did my own drilling on both ends of the case and now at 5500miles at teardown still using the original bearings.  :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Has anyone out there put alot of miles on one of these triples without bearing problems? My 98 FIII 600 has 4000 miles on it with no problems......yet?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had to replace the outer crank bearings on my wife's 98 formula z last year.  At the time it only had 2500miles on it. I wasn't very happy because it is expensive and takes time to do.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 98 Mach Z with 4600 miles and so far so good, no crank problems as of yet (knock on wood!). On the other hand I had a stator go after the first year and now it looks like my cdi box is on the fritz #&#!!$$$!!. Judging by the posts on 98 Skidoo electrical problems I am not alone! The good news (if you can call it that) is that while in the process of tracing the electrical problem (intermittently loses spark) the dealer discovered that my carb intake boots are cracked right through underneath! Looks like the engine is still alright - caught it just in time!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I smoked crank bearings in my 98 FIII 700 my first ride of last year and Doo would DOO nothing for me. Doesn't seem right.
I love the sled but with that support can't tell what I will buy next.
  Jemms

·
Registered
59 Posts
Road this weekend with a 97 Formula 600. He didn't go 10yrd and fouled plugs. Rest of the day was great until he siezed up going about 45mph. I think he blew a crank.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts