Snowmobile World banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
All of the 700 and 600 triples I ride with all got update notices to have bearings in mag end replaced and case drilled. Lots of them have over 10000 KM's on them now  with no issues. I have in my garage a brand new factory 700 bottom end, with updates, cases and all that was only $650.00 exchange. No I won't sell it as it is the basis for my improved grass motor for next summer.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I cant belive theres so many of you that missed this service bulletin.  Most of your problems could have been avoided.  

I would call and talk to your dealer about it and see what they say.  Then call an other one just to double check.  Most failures are a result of a poor dealer.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
As for positive post i have seen many triples with 8000miles.  And during there life they seem to run top notch.  

I would still say despite the crank problems in the years mentioned that skidoo has one of the best triples in the biz.  

You have to remember one thing.  These triples are like factory race engines.  There compression is higher and ignition is advanced more then the twins.  There power is made at higher rpms.  Doos triples are designed to kill and somtimes it hinders the life of the engines.  I have owned a few triples and my friends mostly own triples and none of us have had a problem.  So now that bombardier has got this crank bearing problem out of the way i would suspect to see them get the same life span as a twin.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is gonna be a bad post. :angry:  Unfortunatly my uncle had a 97 Formula 3 600.  The sled was in mint shape with less than 3000 miles on. (I think, it wasn't much)  When we were driving and smelt a burning.  He stopped and it turned out to be a crank bearing. (Bearing wasn't getting enough oil) The sled was 1 1/2 years old.  Doo covered nothing!  Took sled to Robs in Johnson Creek WI and had them doo the work.   They drilled holes by the bearing to solve the problem.  Didn't work!  Last year the sled was missing on the top end.  So again the sled was taken to Robs. There they quoted new pistons,  cylinder, & crank.  Was gonna cost too much so he sold the sled in excellent shape to Rob for $700 US.  Crap outta luck.  Some have problems and some don't.  The guys that have good ones;  they are great sleds!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too have had troubles with the 96 fIII 600.  It cost $1100 to fix and ski-doo told us the same thing. a$$holes
I lost all faith in ski-don'ts because they don't do anything about their problems.

good luck on your quest but personally I don't think it is one we will win. ???  ???

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
hey you guys are all scaring me here ! when i bought my sled (96 FIII600) 1 month ago you all said it was a verry good one, now im afraid my crank is gonna die on me cause i have 1100km on it and the engine has never been open. took a compression test for fun and i got 125 on all 3. what signs should i check for to see if the crank i about to die ? or should i just open it ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well what do you know. It happend to me too, 98 mach1 with 3000 miles. Bought it used from a dealer with 1800 miles on it maybe it happened before too. The dealer is checking it out any way. Blew the top and lower cases and the rist pin was in the pipe. The center cyl. still ran on 1 and 3 lol. Kinda sucks to see so many have had this happen. One place said that a long block was 1900 and the next said they were obsolete. Guess ill double check. If I get it fixed will the journals being driled really fix the problem????

·
Registered
190 Posts
First off let me point out that I do not have enough knowledge (or Ski Doo trivia) to be able to say that there is or isn't a problem with their triples.  I haven't been involved with the sport long so I have no idea.

However, what I can say is take what is said on this (or any) forum with a grain of salt.  There are a ton of smart people on here, and everybody has been kind and helpful to me so I'm not saying that I don't listen/trust people on here...that is in no way what I mean.  What I do mean is that everybodys voice may not be being heard....people may be catching the title of this post and then saying "yeah, I know somebody that has happend to", or "yeah, I had/have one of those and seen that problem".  Other people that own those sleds and aren't having any problems may just skip this post because the topic doesn't pertain to them.  Who knows....there is no way to tell.

For example (if anybody follows ATV's), you may have heard that the 2001 Yamaha Raptors have quite a few problems.  Mainly transmission problems and a problem with the carburators falling off (that would be fun).  Anyway, this topic was addressed in a forum much like this one at atvconnection.com .  The title was "2001 Raptor problems please post" or something like that.  Well they too got about 3 pages worth of complaints on the Raptors and it seemed like 95% of the people that replied to that topic were indeed having those problems.  Well after reading that you pretty much would think that if you buy a Raptor there would be a 95% chance that you will be having problems with it.  Well, after talking to 3 different dealers around this area, none of them had seen any of these problems.  All of them were able to give me an approx. number of the Raptors that they have sold and they all gave me a few cases in which they did have to do some work under Warranty, but no tranny probs, and no carb probs.  

Does this mean that everybody on that forum was wrong?  NO, of course it doesn't.  However, you never know, you may be hearing more from the people with problems then from the people without.

I wasn't going to post on this topic because I have no knowledge of it, and I don't know any of the history behind it, but after I saw the Worried post by DanR I felt that I had to point this out to him.  I think that if there is any question in your mind, go talk to your dealer or local sled mechanic.  They can tell you how many of these instances they have seen and then you can sort of get an idea of the likeliness that it will happen to you.  For example if I asked my mechanic how many he has seen, and he says that he has seen 8 Mach Z's come in for crank problems I can say that the % is pretty high because there aren't a lot of them around here.  See what I mean?

Now, apart from what I was saying.....I too have had problems with my Mach Z.  The ring is the center cylinder let go last year (about 2500 miles on the sled).  Unfortunatly I bought the sled used last year so I don't know it's maintenance history, or if it was abused.  

Again, I just want to stress that I'm not saying that anybody is wrong or right because I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THESE SLEDS.  Maybe 100% of the Mach Z's produced will have this problem....maybe 75%....maybe 50%....who knows, but we will never come up with the exact formula to say whether or not yours or mine, is his, or theirs, or anybodys will blow up.  

Oh yeah, I also know that the original point of this post was to get a bunch of people together to show ski-doo that there was a problem, and not to bash or scare other Ski-Doo triple owners.  I was just pointing the above out to the people who are scared that there machines may blow up.

Sorry for the long post.

-Josh

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well....just to put another little spin on the subject, I
too had some problems with my PTO bearing taking a $hit on
me at less then 1000 miles so I took it in the the dealer
and they fixed it while SkiDoo picked up the tab 100%. The
only thing I lost was some saddle time but lucky for me I
had a little SDoo 500 L/C also so I rode that while my 98
FIII 700 was getting fixed. When I got the sled back I was
only able to put another 350 miles on it till the snow left
and I was still worried about my crank so I tore into the
motor during the summer all the way down to the cases and
then took it to my local dealer to have the oil hole drilled
through the case on the PTO side to get more oil that side.
Well as they split the case they found out that when it was
rebuilt (by a different dealer!)) that It wasn't done the
way it should have been. So again I talked to SkiDoo and
they checked with the dealer and he backed me up so I got
the new crank that I should've got the first time and AGAIN
SkiDoo picked up the tab for me. I didn't even get charged
for the work to drill the hole!!!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Even if we filled up 10 pages of posts with stories of crank bearing failures it would only account for maybe 5% of the total triples sold not even.  And there are a lot of twins with the same problems.  

So like i said before use a good oil like amsoil and you wont have this problem.  

If you use crap oil this kind of stuff can be expected and you will just have somthing else to post about.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I posted before here about a bad 97 F3.  I'm a die hard
Ski-Doo fan even,  but there were some probs with these 600 tripples.  But like Machzzzz1 said use synthetic oil.  I talked to my dealer and they recommend using the synthetic in the tripple cylinder sleds. ???

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
One of my Mach Z had use synthetic oil right on the sled's oil tank, but they would stand behind the regular oil. I do not know who supplies oil for Doo, but Cat's is or at least was Leman's five years back. You could buy lemans conventional oil for half price. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a 96 F3 last year with 1400 miles on it. The third cylinder went. The dealer said it was because the oil lines were leaking and they weren't getting enough oil. The lines hardened and cracked. Can't see them since they are under the bottom of the carbs. He drilled an extra oil hole for the third while he had it apart even though he said it was not a problem like on the 97's.
Cost me $1200. The oil lines were 85 cents each! :angry:

21 - 40 of 54 Posts