Snowmobile World banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi ya all! Just thought i'd say a few words about the f-111 triples,i owned 96-600 and it was a hell of asled. I had fast pipes and afew clutch mods andthis thing would give mach z's fits. Anyhow ran it hard to 5800 kms with no trouble,sold it shortly after to a buddy and he got another 1000 km. then stator let go.He wanted more power so we installed a 780, although i don't know if it will have much more? I got the 600 on trade for labour and plan on rebuilding, the main concern with these engines is complete drilling the partial hole for lubrication on pto side to outer bearing.After this is done the cranks very seldom have a problem. p.s. somebody really does need to build a light weight triple,otherthan Yammi.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think ski-doo do knows about the probablem but its to late for warrenty, the only thing they might of done was update the cranks on the newer ski-doo tripples? It would cost them way to much much to fix all the wrecked cranks, ago hopefully they updated them, kind of sounds like the xlt's polaris knew there was a probablem but didn't updated them untell 97!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Machzzzz1 are you a rep for Amsoil or something. You think that is the the cure to all your problems. I do run amsoil in my sled, the expensive Gold 2000 synthetic and it didn't make a damn bit of difference, and yes I had the injection rate richened up. You can defend Doo all you want and look for excuses but the simple fact is these motors were junk. I know you're happy with yours, the Mach-Z 800 triple is a great motor and they have had very few problems with that triple. The point of this posting was to get input from 600 & 700 triple owners for the years 96/97/98 because they are the ones with the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Definately some problems eh??? . What part of life dont have them? What ever it costs to fix will probably be cheaper than buying a new one.  
 Is it possable to over drill the journals.[/b][/quote]If you play learn to pay, They all run and they all break<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
ParanhaZ28....Well said!!! It is definitely not the norm for a Doo triple to blow up. Not everyone that has a triple is going to have this problem. Frustrateddooer...if you don't want to ever have any problems with the sled you buy, you maybe should think about taking up pool or something to do in the winter. Everyone has a problem with a sled at some point. We ride the crap out of them then try to blame the manufacturer for the machine failing in some way. Very rare to get something for nothing. You don't need to use Amsoil in particular, but Doo does recommend using a synthetic in the triples.  Hope you get what you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A quick follow-up on my FIII...

After the teardown, 2 bearings went out on the crank.  Need to replace the crank.  Ski-Doo has replacements that you get (through the dealer) when you send them yours.  Price for the crank clocked in around $530.

So, I'm gonna give the go ahead for repairs today.  I'm looking at an $1800 bill.  Crank, 3 pistons and related bits, 1 cylinder repair and a crapload of labor.  Ouch.  Easier to swallow though now that I see snow falling right now in SE WI.  

My understanding, as someone else mentioned, is the bearings were not getting enough oil.  Apparently the spacer is too big between 2 of them preventing the outer one from getting proper lube.  Ski-Doo had issued a "fix" in the past that called for drilling a hole in the case allowing oil to leak down to the bearing.  Apparently this fix has been withdrawn in favor of a different spacer and packed bearings.  I'm interested in seeing the crank that comes back from them to see what is on that one.

Can't wait to get back out...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just did a friends 99 machz 4000 miles on it, crank worn out (all bearings) piston's slappen around in the cly's.
One crank and 3 pistons later he's back on the traill. Now using synthetic oil, maybe it will last longer we will see!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Time for a class action suit against ski-doo.Any company thats knowingly has a problem,and turns it's back on it's customers should be held accountable.I loved ski-doo f-lll's till I saw they were going through crank bearings like sparkplugs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 98 FIII 700 and took the outside pto bearing out 2 weekends ago.  The plastic keeper inside the bearing broke do to lack of oil.  Luckily as I was making a clutching change I heard the balls in the bearing hitting each other.  I was able to flip the engine upside down, split the case and pull the bearing off.  All I needed was a bearing ($45) and a seal ($28, rip off) and I could do the work myself.

The 700's and the 600's have the same bottom end so that is why you are seeing so many people complain about them - the magic number seems to be about 2000 miles.
There isn't enough oil getting to the outside pto bearing because the case sucks it towards the inside pto beraring.
There are a few options:
1) Drill large journals - but some have not had luck with this
2) Bombardier sells a tube of grease for an outrageous $50 that you can pack in the bearing.  They swear by it.
3)You could add an oil injection line to that side of the case - this isn't for the average joe.
4) Use steel cage bearings.  But this doesn't solve the oil issue and if there isn't enough oil then instead of burning the plastic cage, I think the steel one might 'lock' and that could really jack up a case, crank, cylinder - you name it.

It boils down to an engineering flaw, but I am going to stick w/ Ski-Doo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well my 97 F111 has 1942 miles on it and it is in mint shape and it also had a crank problem.  Took it to the dealer in Curtis Mi.   They took it apart and found out that it was the two bearings on the clutch side...  The plastic cages were melted into little balls..  The service tech. told me that there was a common problem with the triples.  "lack of oil" Boy  I hate that word!  He  said that there was a service bullitin about it that said to drill a hole in the top half of the crank case, so that the oil could drip down to the crank bearings.  To make a long story short.  I talked to my case worker Gail @ Bombardier and she said that she would look into it...Well let me tell you they do not stand behind there products at all,  only in the first year ..  So out of my pocket came $709.98 for a new crank .. the new crank comes with a new case..And it is not drilled out..... It is all back in the sled now and ready to hit the trails, now all we need is snow in the U.P.!!!!    Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there !! i have a 1996 formula triple 3 600 having trouble pulling the engine over. so i pulled the recoil off works fine but the engine part seems seized or locked up. do i have a problem with engine all fluids are fine ! spark is good ! it ran pretty good last year! one issue went for about 1hr ride stalled then a couple of seconds started right up ! thanks if you have any suggestion's would be great !!!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts