Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few questions regarding top end performance and tach. First regarding my top end, I put a new chain and case in the machine and after taking it out for a run had a hard time breaking 65 mph. From an earlier post I did have the track alittle snug so I adjusted that(thanks raceguy for your response). However my problem now is that it is still shy on the consistancy of the top end speed. From a dead stop when I crack it open it slowly starts then at about 10 mph it starts to rev up and take off like a bat till about 65 then fights its way from there averaging about 70-75. It doesn't bog but you can tell from the engine sound that it wants to go but is being held back. I run up and down this track several times and Approximately 1 in 4 runs it would come alive and dam near break 90 on the speedo, the macine was never shut down in between runs so temp carbs and choke I have pretty much eliminated (have already totally cleaned and reset carbs and checked jetting). Now I am probably going to answer my own question but just looking for any other ideas. I lifted the clutch cover and noticed two of the weight arm pins had loosened off and I could slightly wiggle 2 out of three of the weight arms with my finger, the third one had no movement with my finger. Now my thinking is that I need to redo the bushings and pins in my drive clutch and that is alot of my problem. I have been away from sleding for 15 years and now the kids are grown I picked this one up and am getting back in to it. Or is there supposed to be some play in the weight arms like that now I also noticed that I had similar movement in the rollers on the spider that the weight arms go up against as well.
As for the tach I don't think it is reading properly or even close because at about 10mph the tach seems to only be reading 1100rpm everything is stock on this machine and it has a red spring in the drive clutch so does this seem to be reading low or has anyone else had anything similar any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have a 96 ext that has not been rode in two years ( i have owned since new )the ext is a 90 mph sled at best, on a lake with smooth run and long distance maybe 100 mph i have tryed exhust tips , clutch kits, everything still 90 mph. to get it to 90 the clutch has to be in good working order to get best speed ( both ) also compression in cyclinders must be good, and as some folks on this fourm have helped me with Clean carbs help alot.

·
Registered
980 Posts
It sounds like clutch problems. That sled should probably engage around 4500 and peak around 8200 max. I would suggest getting a new primary clutch for best results. The current clutch may not be salvagable if the rollers and spider are worn. A lot of people talk about getting good deals on uncalibrated Cat 9 tower primarys on e-bay. Get a new spring, weights, pins and bushings and then you'll know where things are at, which can be important with a used sled.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts