Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great board. I have 5000 miles on my 1996 Polaris XLT Special w/ no problems. I would like to bring it to the dealer to have them go over the machine before the winter. What kind of equipment needs to be replaced at this miliage? I'd like to the get the shocks rebuilt, grease all the points, change the crankcase oil and replace some track gear. I want to prevent a breakdown and think that if I do the preventive stuff just before the season I have a better chance of not breaking down. I'm not very mechanical and would rather the experts take care of things :). Thoughts? Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
if it already hasent been done replace all the wheels on the suspension too, because the bearings always go in them after a few thousand miles and the wheel will get sloppy wearing out the hole that the shafts goes through eventually cracking off the slide rails, i have owned three polaris sleds and i know from experience.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry to intrude on your question.  I was just wondering if anyone knew of a helpful site that explains the procedures on these checks:  e.g. changing your crankcase oil.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I think that you guys mean chain case oil as a 2 stroke has no crank case oil LOL. A service manual will save you guys tons of money. Like changing all of your rear wheels on that xlt. it's easy to do your selve and you'll save tons of money. Same with the chain case. It is very easy guys. Just get a service manual and you'll be set. You can change out front end sterring parts also and take it to your dealer for the alingment saving bick bucks there also.
Caleb

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
i had 11,000 miles on a XLT but i replaced the pistons once at 4500 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm curious about the crankcase oil thing. I know my Arctic Cat doesn't have any sort of oil in the crankcase. I'm rebuilding an XLT 600 for a friend and I noticed there was definitely some sort of oil in the crankcase when I tore down the top end. Now I'm not sure if it is supposed to have oil in there or not. I figure the bearings and stuff in there would have to get lubricated somehow wouldn't they?

Josh

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Originally posted by zr440@Jan 30 2003, 12:26 AM
I'm curious about the crankcase oil thing. I know my Arctic Cat doesn't have any sort of oil in the crankcase. I'm rebuilding an XLT 600 for a friend and I noticed there was definitely some sort of oil in the crankcase when I tore down the top end. Now I'm not sure if it is supposed to have oil in there or not. I figure the bearings and stuff in there would have to get lubricated somehow wouldn't they?

Josh
The oil is in the gas. That's how a two stroke works. There's oil in the chaincase. The only oil in the crankcase is the oil that's from the oil injection. That's what lubricates the bearings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts