Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a used 96 xcr 440 sp for sale. I cant find any info on it on the net. its not the same thing as a xcr 440 is it? isnt the sp a special racing model? Anyone know the hp ratings? I think I might have heard they have 87 hp somewhere. Any other differences between the sp and the regualar 440 xcr?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Most likely sprung stiffer
and CRC

Also the 96 XCR440 SP might have the remote front arm adjuster(not sure)

80-85hp

·
Registered
179 Posts
:devil: is the xcr a pistion ported engine or is it reeded if pistion ported i say 70to 75 horsepower and the reeded version would be 80 to 85 but they would be great handling sleds

·
Registered
3 Posts
Different sleds really. The sp was the race special. It was available on snow check for a $500 deposit. The sled retailed for $6500 and race program was $4400. The sp included a remote adjust front arm shock, magnesium chaincase, shot peened rails and driveshaft. Chassis differences included short trailing arms, heim joints on the front shocks, clear gas tank, and 2nd generation CRC. The front end was beefed up from the previous years sp.

The motor was upgraded to include larger crank bearings as well as modified port and ignition timing over the standard. It also had a two piece pipe that utilized an aluminum silencer. Hp was 79 out of the piston port, nicasil lined, triple exhaust port Fuji. With very lean jetting(220 mains) the motor would pull 83 with a hot pipe over a short distance such as snow cross. Two version pipes were installed on the sp. Some early builds came with a pipe with a slightly longer header. The later models came with the shorty. Polaris got caught at this and the santioning bodies forced them to use one pipe. They choose the shorty for quicker pipe heating. Weight was 476 pounds.

The "96 440sp spelled the end of Ray Monsrud's rule as race director. The race program went to hell shortly there-after.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts