Snowmobile World banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, the motor is out.

Seals/boots arond the carbs all look really good. Seal at the clutch, not so good - appears to be lots of blow out all over the clutch end of the block. Time to split the cases and see what's going on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Snapped a few shots of the engine, definitely thinking the crank seal is shot. Guess its time to invest in a clutch puller. :lookaround: And some engine cleaner, that is embarrassing how dirty that block is.

I know this is getting off the carb topic, please move the post if it is but it appears the crankcase is sealed with a red silicone/liquid gasket? Is this something that is supposed to be used and is it readily available.

Thanks again for all the help from the Snowmobile World Forums.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Finally got a minute to resurrect this old sled. Put new crank seals on the motor and checked out the obvious while apart.

Stuffed the motor back in, (surprisingly I still had all the bolts and remembered how 2 years later), poured some fresh fuel in the tank and it fired up after 4 pulls. Not bad, or so I thought.

It fires up fine and then starts to bog/die off. Throw the choke on and it catches back up. It'll rev wide open no problem but as soon as you back off it starts the bog/shut down sequence until you throw the choke back on.

Does this sound like carb settings or timing I guess is my question?

:bigsmile: forgotten how much I love the sound of the triples.

·
Registered
1 Posts
okay, today's update.

Pulled the flywheel, that's a chore in itself. Heavy on the puller, bit of liquid flame wrench and the odd tap tap tap with the mallet and off it comes.

Swapped in another stator, matched up all the timing marks, put everything back together and it fires up okay

I should note that all the safety, key switch, kill switch, etc... are all unplugged at this time.

Let it idle for a minute, gave it some throttle, it pulls up to 4000, engages the clutch and starts to die back, chugging and sputtering a bit and then dies. Doesn't seem to want to catch itself even with feathering the throttle and the choke.

Fire it back up and if I instantly slam on the throttle it'll pull to 8000 but not if I gradually try to go there.

My thought now is the CDI, unfortunately they tell me there is no way to test a CDI. I'll check out the sled wreckers tomorrow and see what's out there.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts