Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 XCR has a tendancy to for a clinder to cut out when you hit deep snow that comes up over the hood. It drops off just long enough to get stuck, and then comes back on.

I am inclined to think it is electrical. Something is getting wet, the cylinder cuts out until the heat dries it, but I can't find any loose/exposed wiring anywhere.

There is the possiblity that somehow moisture is getting into the airbox and then sucked into the carbs, but that seems unlkely.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
:cussing:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I THINK YOU MAY HAVE A BAD PLUG WIRE CAP THAT IS ARCING FROM THE CAP TO THE OUTER PART OF THE SPARK PLUG, THAT HAPPENED TO MY FRIENDS 94 STORM, WHEN SNOW WENT THROUGHT THE FRONT OF HIS HOOD ALSO, IF THE PLUG CAP IS CRACKED WHEN SNOW TURNS TO WATER ELECTRICITY WILL TAKE THE LEAST PATH OF RESISTANCE, THAT CAUSES THE CYLINDER TO MISFIRE UNDER LOAD, INSTEAD OF GOING THROUGH THE SPARK PLUG IT WILL GO ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE SPARK PLUG, FOR 4-5 DOLLARS EACH YOU CAN CHANGE ALL 3 AND NOT HAVE ALOT INTO THIS REPAIR, I WORK ON THESE SLED ALOT AND RUN INTO THESE PROBLEMS. :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
I agree with BLOB,

Might as well do the job once right and not worry about it again.

I would replace all plug leads and caps with NGK racing wires, then ccoat them with the insulating spray.

inside the plug caps, use a dielectric grease. This prevents moisture and ensures no arcing to the plug terminal.

You should also change to the solid terminal type of plug.

Dielectric grease should be used anyways at all your wire connections. this way they stay in good shape, prevent moisture, prevent corrosion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts