Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the sport and looking for help. Bought a 96 XCR 600 at the end of last season and all was well until last ride. Running about 40 mph and sled died and coasted to a stop. Started on first pull, ran about 500 feet and died again. Sled acts like it wants to start but wont. Hoping it is not trashed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
New to the sport and looking for help. Bought a 96 XCR 600 at the end of last season and all was well until last ride. Running about 40 mph and sled died and coasted to a stop. Started on first pull, ran about 500 feet and died again. Sled acts like it wants to start but wont. Hoping it is not trashed.[/b]
Perhaps a few things to check out:

Is your CDI box functioning properly? Are there any cracks in the housing? Are all of the connectors tight? What about the wires onto the 90 degree ends to the spark plugs. Possible fuel pump issue? Do you know if the spark plugs are getting a spark, only running on one cylinder? Was the sled running fine before the last ride you took?

Hopefully any of the above questions will help you to troubleshoot.

Tyler

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps a few things to check out:

Is your CDI box functioning properly? Are there any cracks in the housing? Are all of the connectors tight? What about the wires onto the 90 degree ends to the spark plugs. Possible fuel pump issue? Do you know if the spark plugs are getting a spark, only running on one cylinder? Was the sled running fine before the last ride you took?

Hopefully any of the above questions will help you to troubleshoot.

Tyler[/b]
Thats the frustrating part the sled was running great right up until it died. No spitting no sputtering very strong very fast then nothing. Thanks for the advise I'll start checking everything out and eliminating them as I go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thats the frustrating part the sled was running great right up until it died. No spitting no sputtering very strong very fast then nothing. Thanks for the advise I'll start checking everything out and eliminating them as I go.[/b]
I remember when I was riding my '91 500 Classic, and it was running like crap. Turns out one of the springs had fallen off the slider for the throttle in the carb housing. It was really only running on one cylinder, since the other one wasn't getting any air and fuel.

Take your time to diagnose it. Only thing I could suggest. Good luck.

Tyler

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
clean carbs,and clutches

inspect fuel lines and pump

·
Registered
19 Posts
hmm...i sure doesnt sound trashed...if it started again it shouldnt be a major issue. does it have spark?? after it died was it hard to pull over?? have you tried different plugs?

PS. my bet is that your fuel pump isnt working properly....and its a cheap and easy fix!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts