Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 700 SE with the air shock. At the end of last year I noticed that the sled's rear suspension seemed to be locked. If I pushed down on the back, it would not move, or moved a little with great foece. I suspected the air shock and thought if I removed it, I could test the suspension to see if that was the problem. Well I got it out tonight, and sure enough the rear suspension moves freely. The funny thing is with the shock removed it also moves freely when I go to push it it. Also, the compressor works fine, and the shock had air pressure in it.

Any way to test this thing? A new shock is over $400, and I would hate to have to buy one if this one is fine. Any aftermarket non-air shock out there?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours. If it jams frozen you have water in the oil dampening chamber and a rebuild or replacement is imminent. If it strokes OK then the air suspension had water in it and should be dried and alcohol added.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sled has been in my garage all summer, and the suspension was locked up that whole time.

I just ran a test on it. I hooked the shock up to the air line and turned on the compressor for 10 seconds, and sure enough the shock seized up and I could not move it. I then released the air pressure with the dash switch, and it was still seized. Only after I removed the air line and let out the last bit of pressure did it free up. It looks like there is some problem with the air bladder. It seemed to be fine with all air out; I could hear the oil flowing inside as I moved it, and it seemed to dampen well.

Looks like I either use it with zero air pressure, or get a new one. Does anyone know if these are repairable....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts