Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: hello all i am new to this site, I have a 97 mach z and the steering is super heavy is this just an inherant prob. with this sled or am i just a weakling? (lol) is there any mods or kits to help this prob. or will i just have to deal with it all day when every one i ride with can rip all day and not be tired and my arms feel like there falling off? any help would be great thanks...

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
letting out the front limiter straps on the rear skid will help. doing so will affect the way it handles. usually its not better. however that is one of the bad things of the triples, extra pounds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dose it pull to one side or is it just hard touring[/b]

No it does not pull one way or the other it is just so hard to turn it takes alot to get skis to move away from just tracking straight...

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Gets some Precision skis and do what Dooman suggested

·
Registered
795 Posts
Check your rear suspention, it might not be set up properly. Limiter strap, frt & rear shock settings. Your frt shock in the rear suspention will also change ski pressure, the lower it is set the more ski pressure. The higher, less ski pressure. I would check your limiter strap 1st.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Im assuming to but is the steering still hard when you pick the front end up? If so you have steering rods binding, if you have steering rods. On my sled i have about 3 steering rods, 2 overlap. I can see if those were touching it would make hard steering.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Im assuming to but is the steering still hard when you pick the front end up? If so you have steering rods binding, if you have steering rods. On my sled i have about 3 steering rods, 2 overlap. I can see if those were touching it would make hard steering.[/b]
would work well on yours but the suspention will let out the sag on a sled with more than leaf springs and pose another figure into the equation. I am with most of the rear skid front arm guys. the limiter strap is probably pulled up to let it go thru the corners flat. thus putting more ski pressure on the skis. the front shock is the next step for me. if I liked the way it handled with the strap where its at, I may add more spring pressure (to the rear/front shock) to try that first. doing one at a time till I found the happy middle.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Start with the obvious.

Check alignment of the front end (just a slight bit of too much toe-in will make them hard to steer)

Check front suspension for binding and shocks

Correctly setup rear skid.

IMO it is probably more to do with age/maitenance of a 10 year old sled.

That and 10" long 1/2 wear rods wont help either.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Start lifting weights around 9-1...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Do you still have those stock steel cage plastic formula skis on it?? Find a set of Precision Skis, Flex Skis, or Pilot Skis to put on there. What are you running for studs? Carbides?

If you have a bunch of studs and long carbides, it's going to be hard to turn, that's just the nature of the beast. You can play around with some of the suspension settings to make it a little better, though.

I recommend reading your owner's manual, there's a great section on suspension setup and how to troubleshoot each and every setting. If you don't have it, you can download it at Ski-Doo.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts