Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the shop did a compression test and they think that I have a bad piston. What replacement brand would you recommend? Would it be cheaper to buy a whole kit or just buy one by itself, and if i bought bored over ones how much of a difference would it make. I do mostly trail riding.

Any help would be great
thanks
t-man

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Don't bore the cylinders unless they are worn out of spec....The slightly larger bores won't give you any noticeable power gains so save your cylinders for the next blow up!....You should probably do both sides to freshen up the engine,especially if its still all original..The oem pistons are good but kind of pricey....I've had good luck with the cheaper brands of pistons like kimpex but haven't done one in a while..There may be better alternatives nowadays..

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would do both pistons. I think doing one is more like patching it up. If you are going to sell it then do 1. If you are going to keep it do both. You might find that you be doing this again to the other side later if you don't. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would do both and yeah the wiseco's are kinda pricey...You could try oem style/SPi pistons, Ive had good luck with them and for your sled both would be less then a 100$

Brian

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got my 670 HO jugs at the machine shop right now getting bored over .020. The +.020 oem pistons were over a hundred bucks more here in Canada than a Wiseco top end rebuild kit that comes with all the gaskets and orings needed to completely refreshen the top end. Not sure what the stock ones will run you though. The SPI's that I put in her at Christmas lasted two days - 36 miles, but it was because the base gasket leaked on me. They are half the price of Wisecos.

Woodler

1 - 6 of 6 Posts