Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Well I have'nt visited the site in a while but this is a great site. I ran the MXZ last winter and it ran very well. This is what I had done. Milled head and thicker base gasket, Short intake boots, 501 rotary valve, modified dyno port silencer (call Rich Daily and will fill you in), roller clutch, 1 inch Camo Plast Aggressor track, 168 studs, temp. gauge. My sled ran very well. Beat the 800 Cat every run. I was very happy with my sled. I was planning to buy a new sled for sure this year (probably that 800 MXZ) but my sled ran well last year and its paid for so I will run it again this year.  

·
Registered
99 Posts
mxz670s are hard to beat!  It is true that the new ZX chassis will ride better but it is very hard to trade down from a strong running Rotax rotary valve to a weaker running Series III engine.  I Opted to keep my 99MXZ670HO and upgrade the suspensions.  The rear is now an SC10III like a 2002 sled has and I am in the process of upgrading the front suspension.  I am widening the front end to equal or exceed the new sleds and I am also installing longer shocks and springs to bring up the front suspension travel to match the increased travel that I got with the SC10III in the rear.  I like this better than buying a new MXZ 700 to replace it.  I can smoke those 700s with my little 670 all day long!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
you guys must have fast 670`s because i have never been smoked by one yet on my 01 700mxz, i know alot of guys with them and they are fast but i have yet to be beat by one.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Jaedymack, where did you get the short carb boots? Someone else was inquiring.

·
Registered
99 Posts
jwheeler,

I do think that the MXZ700s run excellent and I think they are easily as fast as the Polaris 700s.  They are definately the best of the Series III engines.  But, I have a 99 MXZ670HO currently and I had a 97 MXZ670 before and I never was beat by an MXZ700 with either of them.  In fact, the non HO 670s are underated in my opinion.  The 99 670HO got all the hype but my old 670 which now belongs to a riding buddy can still beat my HO in some conditions.  I did see a 2002 MXZ700 run that I think could probably have beat me but I did not get to race him.  The 2002s seem to run much better than the 2001s for some reason.  Is it the new RER driven clutch?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do all of my riding in Michigan. I know that there are a lot of fast sleds out there but I have yet to be beat by a MXZ 700. I would love to put the sc10III under my sled. I did put the A.D. Bovin kit on my sled along with the Flex skiis with the Traction device on that made a big differance in steering. The short intake boots I got from the ski doo dealer. I dont have the part number off hand. I will be running my sled again this year. Maybe I will buy a new one next year but I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I dont know guys but i would say hang on to your 670`s if they are really that fast, but around here they dont take newer 700 mxz`s, i have never seen it happen stock vs stock.
Guys around here with 600 xc`s and 600 mxz`s are taking the regular 670`s and an ocassional HO too, but hey who am i to argue with you it could happen.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 99 mxz 600 keeps up to my buddys formula ss 670 all day long with no problem. They must have done something to the 670's since 96 I guess.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
all I can say is bring them 670's out next winter and show me the taillights.we ran some races in elmira,alba area in the fields last year and only once did a 670 show me its taillight and it was in some fluff and I got beat by the 1.25 track he had not because he had more power I would have passed him on top end this was on the stock sled.never showed me the taillight while on my piped one.not saying it will not happen,I am however inviting you to do it
. I ride in the cadillac and irons areas as well so we could meet up there.I had a 670 ho in 00 as well as my 700 and you may well know the 670 is gone.in pic is my wife myself and the  00 700  and 99 ho.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There is no doubt that both motors work well. A lot of the reason behind liking the 670's is the feel. One is not any faster than the other. A few extra horses on the HO and a few extra pounds makes them close. Drive them back to back(not side by side) and youd bet the HO was faster. Line em up and they are close. I like the grunt of my HO's but also know in the back of my mind someday they will be gone and Ill be telling you how much I like a reed valver.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Some of my riding buddys have 670 regulars and HO`s and yea they are great machines, but i find the HO feels like it has alot more pluck.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I've noticed that the 700 has a crisper throttle response. Both engines totally rock. Can't go wrong either way. The chassis are so different-S2000 w/ SC 10 and ZX w/SC 10 III. I hate driving my wifes 99 after being on the SC 10 III  

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have to agree I love my 670 !!!44in front end and an m10 orexpert x will keep you from wanting to buy a new sled for 3 more years...who knows what they will look like then!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have always been a faithful Ski-doo Lover but Ski-doo went backwards when they stopped producing RV engines . To a mod drag racer or oval racer its depressing. When I think of how they could have improved the RV engines in a performance sense nothing of  the same cc would have compared. For eg. imagine a 583 bumped to 600cc with nickle cyl. having triple port exaust, flat top piston, HO head design, new ignition system, flat slide carbs, cageless rod bearing,etc. Do you really think a new mxz 600 would beat it? Think again!!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Speedzone, Im with you buddy.  Remember the days when the word 'Rotax' struck fear into the eyes of Pol and Cat riders?  That was back before these weak Series 3 engines came out.  My current dream sled is a REV with an 800 Rotary Valve DFI.  Like you said, if you apply all of the new tech of the series 3 motors to a Rotary Valve based engine you would have a screamer.  It could easily blow away the 138 to 140 hp numbers of the F7.  If the MXZ sleds of the last few years(based on the awesome ZX chassis) had Rotary Valves in them all along I really believe that Doo probably would have the number one sales position back!   This topic is so sad that it makes me want to cry!  

·
Registered
233 Posts
Speedzone & 670HOTH , I couldn't have said it better myself. I think the only reason the series 3 guys don't admit it is because they have to defend their purchase. I have a stock 99 H.O. Toni Haikonen. The new 700 doos are not a problem. In my humble opinion, Ski Doo quit making twins in 99.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I can't believe how many 670 riders are coming out of the woodwork!! This is great!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts