Snowmobile World banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1997 Polaris Storm with the 800 triple and I can’t get it running.

The engine was recently rebuilt by the previous owner and has less than 200 miles on it. All of the cylinders have 120 psi of compression. I took all of the carbs apart and sprayed carb cleaner through all of the jets and drains the gas out an put fresh stuff in. I found out it was extremely flooded and took out all three of the crank case drains and pulled the engine over till vapor quit coming out of the exhaust. I checked the fly wheel behind the recoil to see if the fly wheel shifted and was out of time but it was fine. I sprayed starting fluid in the carbs and down the spark plug holes and all I got was a couple of pops and backfires. I checked all three cylinders for spark and I have good strong spark. I have tried just about everything and can’t seem to get it to fire. I would check the crank seals but I can’t get it running to use starting fluid to check them. Even if they were bad you would think it would try to fire at least a little bit. I checked if it was getting fuel to the carbs and both fuel pumps are pumping and all of the bowls are full. I checked all of the needles and seats in the carbs and that all seem to be functional.
If anyone has an idea of what to check next please message back because I don’t know what to check next. And my shoulders are getting tired.
Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
pull the case drains again to see if its flooded again, if it is turn fuel off ,leave drains and plugs out over night, if fuel was present you have leaking needle seats , when you try to start it again ,turn fuel on just a min or so ,then off and try to start

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I left the spark plugs out last night and the two outside drain plugs and this afternoon before I wrote my first post I pulled the water neck thing off at the base of the engine to get to the third plug and I let it sit for two hours with that plug opened and I put everything back together and all it did was backfire once and spit a couple more times. I tried it first with the choke off and nothing happened so I pulled the plugs and they were dry leading me to believe I got all of the gas drain and the flooding issue resolved. So I tried the choke and it popped and back fired once and I tried it a couple more times with half throttle then full throttle to try and clear any extra gas out and it backfired once more. My dad said it sounded like the equivalent of a distributor being 180 degrees off leading me to believe it is a spark or timing issue. But it has spark at all three cylinders and the previous owner said he replaced the coil packs last year. I was wondering if it was possible for the cdi box to have gone bad and advanced or retarded the timing to the point where it won’t run but I have spark fuel and compression.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also pulled the carbs twice and checked the needles and seats and they don’t appear to be sticking but that’s not to say that there is something else wrong with them. They to also appear to be freshly rebuilt and there wasn’t any varnished gas or other goo in them

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 1997 Polaris Storm with the 800 triple and I can’t get it running.

The engine was recently rebuilt by the previous owner and has less than 200 miles on it. All of the cylinders have 120 psi of compression. I took all of the carbs apart and sprayed carb cleaner through all of the jets and drains the gas out an put fresh stuff in. I found out it was extremely flooded and took out all three of the crank case drains and pulled the engine over till vapor quit coming out of the exhaust. I checked the fly wheel behind the recoil to see if the fly wheel shifted and was out of time but it was fine. I sprayed starting fluid in the carbs and down the spark plug holes and all I got was a couple of pops and backfires. I checked all three cylinders for spark and I have good strong spark. I have tried just about everything and can’t seem to get it to fire. I would check the crank seals but I can’t get it running to use starting fluid to check them. Even if they were bad you would think it would try to fire at least a little bit. I checked if it was getting fuel to the carbs and both fuel pumps are pumping and all of the bowls are full. I checked all of the needles and seats in the carbs and that all seem to be functional.
If anyone has an idea of what to check next please message back because I don’t know what to check next. And my shoulders are getting tired.
Thanks
Check and make sure the coil wires are on the right cylinder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven’t had time to work on it this week but I will get a chance this weekend. There is a cdi box and three coil packs in the engine bolted to there respective part of the block and it is easy to tell which wire goes where. And the wires coming out of the cdi box are all a special length that is just enough to make it to each coil. I am 95% sure that all of the coils are wired right and are connected to the correct spark plugs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried it again but this time I let it sit for 2 days in a heated shop with the spark and block drain plugs out and spun it over till there was no more vapor coming out. I tried it again and I popped and sputtered and it just flooded again. It has good spark and compression and all of the fuel it needs but it won’t start. I was wondering is it had something to with the stator. When I hold The break down and pull it the light does nothing. I was wondering if it wasn’t getting enough voltage to spark properly at the right time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I pulled it over 30 times with the choke off and pulled the plugs probably every ten pulls and it wasn’t flooded. I sprayed carb cleaner in the carbs and pulled it over and nothing happened. Then I turned the choke on and started pulling it and it would pop on the far left cylinder and I pulled the plugs and everything was fine so I kept pulling and it popped a couple more times then the left and middle cylinders were flooded and the far right wasn’t far behind. I pulled the carbs off again and I blew on the fuel inlet and moved the needle and seat up and down and they all worked fine. It only flooded because I pulled it over about 50 times trying to start it. I tried no choke, no choke half and full throttle. I tried it with the choke and half to full throttle and all I got was a couple of pops and wheezes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.