Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i am looking for a little help. my buddy just got a 97 v-max 600 (twin) and i was wondering what type of spring he could put in there to liven it up a little off the line. and how many picks are you guys running in yours i told him like 120 something would be good. and if you guys have any more performane tips it sure would help cuz i don't know much about your yammies i am a cat guy . also are there any problems i should be aware of on this sled
thanks for all the help (is this a great site  or what???)

·
Registered
731 Posts
My wife has the 97 Vmax 600, 144 studs, heat excanger protectors front & rear. I'm told some 97 600's had piston problems after 3000+ miles, so I may replace hers next year. I will look into the spring for you and post it. Have him read his setup manual for the rear skid, lots of adjustments. When it's set up right, I think it's the best ride around.

·
Registered
72 Posts
hey rookee
believe it or not the biggest improvement you could do for that sled is replace the track (money's no object right
), not because of lug height, although that helps too, it's because those tracks really bend hard wich holds back alot of power! The thinner head gasket helps, BENDER & HAUCK both make great clutch kits, or if you want to save a buck go with a bender ORANGE spring and put in heaver rivets on your weights, gearing it down is cheap & works well.
be sure & look at the exhaust pipe on the top of the "u" looking section to see that there's no holes that have burnned threw (if you know a good welder this can be fixed).
as far as the pistons go I would think if it made it this long it would be fine, but if you replace'em go with the pistons from the "98" there a better piston. at this age there would a small advantage to replacing the reeds (they weren't all that great when they were new). Well if any or all that isn't enough you could always put an exhaust can on

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys i will look at that stuff and lt you know how much he wants to spend  i am betting the track is out of the question lol thanks i will check back for more replies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts