Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what should a compression test be on a standard 97 XLT with 34mm carbs.I'm getting 90 in all 3 and some guys say that's about right and others say atleast 120 anyclue what sounds right.It has 4500 miles on it.Or do you think re-ringing is what i should do reguardless with taht manu miles?

·
Registered
791 Posts
As long as they are all the same don't worry about it.  It will still run when you get a dead hole with lower compression then the rest that is a problem.  If it fells under powered rering it or punch it out .010"  and new pistons and rings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
new rings will run around 110 - 120.
If your rings are getting too bad your sled will not start good on a hot engine, but will start good on a cool engine. This is caused by lack of compression.
If it is starting good on a hot engine I would not replace until
you have to. Mine was at 60 when I had to.
Good luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an xlt limited (1997) and 90lbs is okay! Mine has been running at 93lbs in all 3 for 2 years now! Just keep an eye on it and do a compression check every now and then! If you don't notice any performance loss then ride it  
 Keep an eye on your plugs, if all three are the same and the compression in all 3 is about the same then i wouldnt worry. Just my opinion
                             Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
depends on distance........i have really tried 660ft to see speed but i know if racing 90mph is what a guy wants and to be good you need to have a time of about 9 to 10sec tops.Other wise i say average on the XLT is about 95 and with pipes mine hit 110 over like a mile

·
Registered
122 Posts
You said An SLP Pipes?? IT is just the canister or the Whole Thing??? Do you know what is your Speed in Stock Form??? Mine is an XLT Limited 98 and totally stock. RPM 8000 and top speed is 85mph in good conditions. Some people say that is a normal speed for this type of sled and others don'T. Dunno what to try cuz i have inspected all the thing, clutch carb etc etc.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wish there was enough snow to do a top speed run.  
  When i was stock the sled would get to 89-90 at 8000rpm's and took a day to get to 95ish.  Fastest I went this year (w/ mods listed) was about 95 but there was no quit.  It pulled pretty well until we had to shut down.   The rpm's were about 8600-8700.  Some people say to run it up to 9200 but i want to get some miles out this sled. It must pull like a mofo though for those who choose to run it to 9200+.  This has been the most reliable sled out all the older sleds I've been around, i'd like to keep it that way.  

eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts