Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a good trail sled around 97-99 used. I normally ride doo's but I haven't been able to find a clean low mileage 98-99 FZ 583 or 670.

I currently ride a doo, 91 F plus 521 with a newer C7 skid.

There is a 97 XLT LImited with just over 1K on it and in excellent condition. It is a very sharp sled. I have searched around but have not been able to find out a lot about these. I did see some posts a while back in this forum on the 600 taking out PTO side bearings but another post had said this was cleared up in 97.

We are trial riders exclusively. We do ride agressively for the year of our sleds but rarely over 70 mph. We usually cruise around 35-55 depending on conditions.

How would it stack up against the 583 or 670 doo in the S2000 Z chassis. 98-99?

Some of the things I would like to know are how does it handle?

How is the performance versus a 600 or 700 twin?

Is it reliable?

Any issues with this model that I should look out for?

Would you recommend I go to this model as a trail sled?

The reason I'm looking to the F-Z's and XLT type versus the MXZ's and XC's is insurance. My company won't cover any High performance sleds and the others carry a 430.00 premium for these without collision versus 192 for the non performance models.

With a couple sleds in the family this cost can add up when we are only getting in a few good rides lately.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Scott

·
Registered
4,869 Posts

"The reason I'm looking to the F-Z's and XLT type versus the MXZ's and XC's is insurance. My company won't cover any High performance sleds and the others carry a 430.00 premium for these without collision versus 192 for the non performance models

Most insurance companies go by engine size and age and gender of rider not if the model is a trail cruiser or ditch banger:) :D

The XLT Limited would be great sled for your intended use :D and so would the FZs

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My insurance was with Zurich last year who have stopped covering sleds period. My broker has two other carriers who will cover sleds, ING and Pilot. ING won't touch XC's, XCR's, Mach's, MXZ's ZRT's or ZR's period but is only 192 / year including Comp on my F plus. Pilot will cover them all but at a substantial cost increase for the sport sleds.

I sent them a list of models and engine sizes for them to quote on.

Do you know of a carrier who covers performance sleds at a resonable rate?

Has anyone checked their rates this season as of yet? You may be suprised.

I checked because my buddy was trying to get insurance and he found the same thing. He did get coverage along with his car and house but they would only do full coverage. His was a 2002 700 XC. They would write the Polaris but not the sport doo's or AC's. Very odd.

Have a great day!

Scott

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Remember your Plus is a 91,this is why you pay the $192

Also the Formula PLus was a Performance sled back then

I can not see them treating a FZ any dif than a MXZ of same size engine,they are the exact same just cheaper shocks and dif color

97 XLT LTD :hallo1:

·
0 Posts
xlt are a great, fairly strong engine, with a smooth riding suspention. In regards to insurance mine is a 93 indy 500 and i have just renewed this Oct and it actually had decreased, last season i paid $208/year and this year has been reduced to $170/year with no reduction in the amount payable,(does not incude collision) it is through a company called Federation and to the best of my knowled they insure anything, a friend has his ZRT600 insured with them, hope it helps ya

oh ya im in Kingston Ont. so it should be available to you

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at my quote from my broker again and I think I have an idea as the the spread.

Age 38, family, married, No accidents or traffic violations, driver training. Wife same, son 15 with snowmobile training and licence and 2 others not old enought to ride.

If I put my car and truck with them I will save another 20%.

2000 Monte Carlo SS and 98 Explorer LTD.

Liability / Comp - Collision

It was 168 - 106 for the 91 F plus, 192-211 for the Formual Z's, 98-99 670 and 583 and 402 - 455 for the MXZ 670, 402-381 for the 98 XC 700, 426-455 for the 98 ZR 600, 426-455 for the 98 ZRT 600, 463-570 for the 2000 ZR 600 and 426-455 for the 2002 XC 600.

It doesn't make sence. You are absolutely correct the Z is a MXZ with different springs and shocks.

My thought was FZ or XLT and set it up how ever I want.

I think they must run stats on accidents on different models. Performance models are usually bought by people who require more out of their sleds and are more likely to run to the extreme of the sleds handling capabilities where as the FZ's are purchased by someone looking more for a family type trail sled. Same would hold true for the XLT and XC comparison. As the performance goes up likely so do the accidents. I know even with the 521 plus or the 670 mach 1 when you get on it objects sure come up fast. We tend to ride aggressively near the envelope of the handling of our sleds.
My Monte Carlo SS also carried a lower insurance than a 2000 Grand AM GT. I can pass them no problem but I think the Monte must have a lower accident record due to its average buyer profile.

Pilot would cover all the models listed but at a substantially higher rate on all models. My F plus was 319 with them. ING who doesn't cover performance models period offers a rate of 168, same coverage. I wonder if Pilot subsidizes the high performance sleds by increasing the cost of the non performance models. There's another thought as to the spread.

I'm going to ask another broker about Federation, it sounds like a good deal on the higher performance models. I think I need to shop some more.

Have a great day!

Scott.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How would I tell if the 597 is a 03 or 04 series? Is there a marking or number on the engine / sled to ID these. The sled was purchased in Feb 97.

I take it if it is not a 04 stay clear or factor in a quick tear down and mod update. The sled has around 1000 miles on it which seems to be right when they started to fail. If the mod is reasonable then given the condition of the sled it may be a good purchase either way.

It looks like any of the 03's were trouble.

Thanks for the link,

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't know how to tell, maybe you can e-mail the guy that wrote the page. This is not a 597 motor. Those were the 1995 and before motors, 1996+ was the true 600 even though most people think they still have the 597. I have a 98 XCR with a 04 in it, I can see if there are any ids and let you know - I don't know for sure though. Otherwise the rest of the sled is solid, I love my XCR - its got balls :blahblah: The motor is the only thing that I would worry about. Beyond the update this is one bulit proof sled.

·
Registered
468 Posts
the motors are exactly a 597 cc engine .in the 93 and 94 model years they were a 579 cc engine other wise known as a 580.they upped the size in 95 to the 597cc engine.it was the same displacement up to its last year being the 2000 models whe nthey named it the triumph.but ti was still basically a xlt with a new name and a stupid one at that.in 99 they changed the carbs to flatslideswhich increased performance a bit.but the motor is basicallt the same since 95.i took this info direct from polris info i have.and the sled should should be great i've had 2 xlt and one xcr 600.i've heard of people putting 5000 to 7000 miles without any trouble at all.so i would'nt hesitate to buy one at all .they are great sleds perform good have that sweet triple sound with smooth perfromance.plus that chassis has always handled great.its a good sled i would not be afraid if the triple its to bad the media bashed triples into extinction for the big vibrator twins.i'd trade my polaris twin for a trpile right now if they reintroduced them into the edge chassis.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Scott> the 04 had 4 oil lines off the pump, 3 to the piston ports and the all important 1 to the Pto side (Behind the clutch) I have 2500 trouble free stock miles on mine.... Compression is 105 in all three... sounds alittle low to me but from what I gather there are 2 types of gaskets... low and high compression??????? as long as all three cylinders are the same or within 5% of each other I dont worry worry about it.Thats just my experience with the "troublesome" triple from polaris... Mine is the 04 and I have nothing bad to say about it ....... later Bob

·
Registered
468 Posts
I BELEIEVE THERE WERE TWO DIFFERENT COMPRESSION HEAD GASKETS.THE STOCK XLT HAD A LOWER COMPRESSION THAN THE XCR 600'S.I HAD A 96 XCR 600 NOT SP AND IT HAD THE LARGER 38 MIKUNI CARBS AND HIGHER COMPRESSION HEAD GASKET WHICH WAS THE SAME ON XLT SPECIALS.THE NON SPECIAL XLT ONLY HAD 34 CARBS AND LOWER COMPRESSION GASKET.SECONDLY 98 XCR 600 IF YOU HAVE THE XCR 600 IN THE AGRESSIVE BODY WITH TRIPLE PIPES THAT IS NOT THE SAME MOTOR AS THE XLT THAT WAS THE SAME BASIC DESIGN AS THE XCR 700 XCR 800 OR STORM AND ULTRA .BUT YES THE 98 XCR 600 WAS A TRUE 600 BUT NOT THE SAME MOTOR AS THE XLT .IT WAS THE XCR 800 PLATFORM.THE 96 TO 98 XCR 600 SP WAS A DIFFERENT MOTOR THAN THE 95 -97 XCR 600 NON SP OR XLT.THEY WERE NOT RELATED IN ANY WAY.98 XCR 600 YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT A TOTALLY DIFFERENT MOTOR.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Back to the insurance discussion I to am having a bigtime problem getting insurance this year on my mxz80o as Mass does not insure anything over 750cc so Ive checked around Im married no claims at all and am getting quotes as high as $4500.00 no collision!! Every agent wants my house and vehicles but I am locked in with ING for a year and can't move them. Here my sled sits in my garage with no insurace..

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their help. I had initially started out looking for a 98 - 99 Doo FZ but once I saw one of these XLT LTD's I was not so sure about the doo any more. The XLT looks like it will be a good reliable sled for a few years until I can afford to move up to the newer XC's.

I feel confident that I can now make an educated decision on this sled.

Back in 2000 when I returned to sledding after many years it was through these forums that I made the decision to purchase the F plus I have now. It has been a great sled, I'm just ready to move up a notch and take on some longer rides and besides my oldest son has his eye on the F plus.

Thanks and have a great day!

Scott

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Good Luck

97 XLT LTD nice trail sled,love the triple single pipe sound :hallo1:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I finally bought a Polaris. Everyone can't believe I didn't stay doo. I ended up finding a mint 98 XLT Limited with reverse and low miles. I was just about convinced to call on the 97 which started this post and take it when I flipped open our local Weekend community paper walking in from the mailbox and their was this 98, first thing I saw. Fate for sure so I called and the rest is history. The owner was very particular about his equipment and it shows in the XLT. It lit right up and you gotta love that tripple rumble. It just goes to show things happen for a reason.

We are picking it up Tuesday night.

In regards to the 03 and 04 motors I found a 97 XLT LTD sled as early as November 96 with the newer 04 block and the PTO oil line. The 97 which started this post had the oil line.

I also talked to several dealers about the 597 and they had seen very few problems in 97 and up. I found there is a lot of these around with very high milage, 9,000 and up and still going strong. These have a near cult following similar to the cat ZRT 600. Very loyal riders with many positive things to say about them.

Well, thanks for everyones insight, it is appreciated.

Have a great day!

Scott

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Good Luck Scott

Hope you have fun like the rest of us this winter :D

The 98 has a nicer Blue cab :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts