Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the sled goes great until bout 60mph and sits at about 8000rpm with slp pipes.It has a hard time climbing past that and when i go to pin it,it seems to lose power so i then have to let off the gas so it goes back to about 60 and sorta stay there....anyclues.
has new pins,rollers,bushing in clutch,cleaned carbs,changed fuel filter,cleaned and checked fuel pump

·
Registered
101 Posts
Make sure jetting and clutch springs and weights are right for your altitude. Make sure you have the right drive belt. Also, you might want to make sure your throttle cables are all intact and your carbs are syncronized. A friend of mine had a similar problem with his 2 cylinder and it turned out to be a broken throttle cable to one of the cylinders. Just a few thoughts...  Good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
Your xlt with pipes on it should be spinning around 9,000 or even a little higher 9,200 I think.  Have you done something recently as in add ons?  You may have to try some lighter weights to get your RPMs up first of all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i have the weights they call for 10mw ....but i forgot to meantion somedays it tun great others crap.It's like this when i go to hit a jump going about 20-30mph and i punch it has nothing i can't even get any air at all

·
Registered
51 Posts
I always think of bad gas when I see these problems.  Not my bad gas but the stuff you could be putting in your sled. Put some fresh stuff in and add 10 oz. of isopropyl to your tank.  See if this cleans it up.  I imagine that you are running premium fuel and sometimes depending where you buy your gas it could be you are one of the few who do.  Go to a place that you know sells premium on a regular basis. I know, I've read a few post where guys don't think gas goes bad but it can and it does.  It is an easy thing to try and could solve your grief, who knows.  Good Luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you had your secondary clutch apart? If it has over 5000 miles it will need new buttons. Also recommend new springs in primary and secondary if you have not already done that.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Check the secondary clutch like ninja says and also check for brocken motor mounts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok guys i took the secondary apart now she goes 100% better before that i had a hard time getting 70mph now she gets to 90 no prob but the rpm still seems to sit at about 8-8300rpm....and it should be higher.Plus i have 10mb 44gr weights and they call for 10mw 46gr weights and i'm using the slp black secondary with a 42-34 helix..Also my lights cut in and out any clues i think that might of had something to do with it draining power.No loose wires we started it and wiggled every wire and nothing what you thik regulator?

Apprectiate the Help Thanks Alot

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
the 10 mb weights are not 44 gram they are I beleive 47.5 or 46.5.The 10mr are 44 gram . As far as the lights check the wires under the seat as they have a tendancy to rub through and short against the tunnel,are you sure that non of the connections are loose, you pulled apart all the connectors and cleaned them and pinched them down with a plier? Put dielicteric grease on all connections to keep corosion from forming.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey guys thanks alot for all the info really appreicate it.We found what was the problem.The secondary was alike seized onto the shaft we a lttle tough getting it off but we did.Oiled the shaft played with the seconday checked weights left the 10MR 44gr in.Change the stock helix 34 to a slp 42-34 with the slp black secondary and now she moves like it use to 9000rpm no prob.Now just to install the picks for some traction...Don't care what anyone thinks i like my XLT.Thanks again guys

·
Registered
51 Posts
Happy trails XLT .  It is not what you ride it is that you are riding and having fun.  There will always be a sled faster and one slower that yours, mine, or anyone elses.  I would imagine that there are more XLT's out there than any other model made so they couldn't be that bad eh?  

1 - 14 of 14 Posts