Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im wondering what you guys think of a 1997 ZR 440. I know its liquid cooled, but what kind of suspension does it have, how does the motor run?? Is this a reliable sled, good sled?? What sort of suspension upgrades or motor upgrades are available on it?? Here is the deal that I found......

1997 Arctic Cat ZR 440 2800 mi. 120 studs shaved heads, geared low, new pistons, head gasket, handlebar hooks, riser, shocks recharged just serviced for winter, $2,400 obro-Details-Lincoln, ME

Is this a good deal?? Im still looking for a second sled for the season. and I dont really have any more then $2500 bucks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does it have a strong motor?

·
Registered
403 Posts
1st year of aws5 front suspention, 13.5 with tsl, clicker front shocks, skid frame adjuster(VERY cool), 90+ h.p.---it's basicly the same engine as a 98 or 99 sno-pro without power valves-they still rock even without the power valves.

I will say this-the shaved heads bother me...that engine for that year had a small cc chamber (17.5 I think) and milling them without remachineing the combustion chambers is a no no, unless you run race gas. They even had a bullitin from arctic to retard the ignition timeing to avoid burndowns.

Besides that, if it's in good shape, it's worth the money, because of the clicker shocks and the skidframe adjuster.

Another bit of info on that year 440, that was the only year that the general public could buy the factory racer. The consumer sled was the same as the race sled.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are the back clickers as well?? or as long as they are STIFF.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually I just found the same sled, but W/O the head mod, actually its got no mods, its stock. here it is.....

For Sale : Arctic Cat ZR 1997
440 3500 mi, runs mint, looks great, $2,200 bo

This sounds a little better. I would like to actually try a AC too. never ridden one. wanna check out those A-Arms!! the guy says its got clickers ALL AROUND!! im going up to check it out this weekend. i will get that price down to 1900.

·
Registered
403 Posts
clickers in the front and skidframe adjuster in the rear(front shock on skidframe)....no clickers on the rear

Unless he added a clicker to the rear shock, it wont have it.

For 2000, its definately worth it. :hallo9:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what can u do w/ the skidframe adjuster?? does it help w/ the stiffness?? how stiff do u think they already are?? ill have to ask him if he added clickers. better yet ill look at it this weekend.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how will this badass handle my abuse?? .....(big jumps, waterx, and much more abuse) ??

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by sledcrazy@Oct 24 2002, 07:00 PM
how will this badass handle my abuse?? .....(big jumps, waterx, and much more abuse) ??
Thats what it was made for. It will take whatever you throw at it and laugh at you!haha You will love it I'm sure. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok!!! i KNOW my dad can get that price down to 1800 or lower, I GUARANTEE IT!! ill post to u guys wut the final price is. ill post some pics when i get it too! its stock for now, i might add maybe some reeds and a clutch kit or sumthin. cant STAND having a stock sled!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
what can u do w/ the skidframe adjuster?? does it help w/ the stiffness??
if you are talking about the dial this sled has on the dash it has nothing to do with the stiffness of the front shock of the skidframe. what the dial does is by turning the dial clockwise you suck the shock up which will lift the front of the skidframe causing more ski pressure you would like this for icy trails or if you dont want to pick up the skies out of corners and will somewhat limit ski lift in the corners in some snow conditions. by turning the dial counter-clock-wise the piston of the shock is allowed to come out and put more weight on the front of the skidframe and taking weight off the front of the sled making it real easy to wheelie.

depending on the the condition of the shocks and if the former owner didn't valve the shocks softer for trail use they should be valved stiff enough for plenty of ditch banging driveway jumping fun. just be sure that the shocks have been serviced regularly or else it wont ride so good and it will cost big bucks to have them rebuilt, the dial on the dash if the sled is kept outside all the time likes to rust from the inside and cause all sorts of problems. i just brought the shocks in from a 96 ZR 580 with the dial on the dash and it well cost me about 320 bucks for a rebuild because they havn't been touched since 96 since i took them off the sled myself it should only be about 180

about the motor i have a lot of experiance with this motor and will run for a long time just as long as you dont alter the pipes or the heads all i would recommend is a good clutch kit some reeds and maybe some jetting and yes that little 440 does pull pretty considering what it is

1 - 11 of 11 Posts