Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice in forums that every body has bad luck with the zr 580
Had a 94, 95, and just told by friend to buy this 97.  Never had any problems with these sleds. Was I wrong to have him invest in this 97.

·
Registered
757 Posts
It seems that if you find a guy that had problems with a 580, 99% of the time it will be a '97.  Cat must have changed something that year that caused so many problems.  I have a '95 and the only problem I have is the water pump gasket (common).

·
Registered
160 Posts
my wife rides  a 97 it has been a great sled it has ha d a few problems clutch broke on a trip to maine ac paid for clutch and last year stator went out 450.00 bucks other than that been a great sled 4000 hard miles

·
Registered
512 Posts
not sure what it means... but the 97 I belive was the first year the Batteryless EFI came out... If that had anything to do with it... Got me!

·
Registered
508 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ArTeeCat @ Sep. 09, 2002, 08:51am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Notice in forums that every body has bad luck with the zr 580[/b][/quote]
Pretty bold incorrect statement in my opinion.  Just remember, people usually only comment if they need help or if they have had problems.  Seldom do people write in saying there sled has been trouble free and great.  From what I understand Arctic Cat made a ton of the 580's over the years, I would guess the problem rate on them is the same as any other sled, just looks worse because they made a lot of them (PPM).

·
Registered
210 Posts
my brother in-law had 97zr580,it was very strong, but it seemed that every 3000 miles or so he had to rebuild the engine it would eat pistons, when he bought it, it was just rebuilt by an AC dealer, then after 3k she blew up, he brought it back, they rebuilt it , 3000 miles later, same thing, and they never could give us an  answer on why it was eatin pistons......

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a 95 Zr580 (clutched, piped, taper bore carbs) and only had the water pump bushing replaced.  Other than that no problems.

Currently running a 97 EFI.  The boots that the throttle bodies mount to cracked and had to be replaced.  I understand this is a common source of unmetered air and we  all know what that means...smoked pistons!  I caught mine early, so no problem, but hear this cracked boots have smoked more than one 580.

I love mine, and it's like anything else...love em and they'll love you back.  It's cool to Ride em hard and put em up wet, but don't act so surprised when you're standing by the trail with a handful of screws  

·
Registered
767 Posts
the water pump bushing, that causes it to leak antifreeze right? We have a similar problem with my brother in laws. It's alway leaking antifreeze. We have tried everything to fix this thing. any suggestions. It's a slow drip coming out of the bottom of the engine somewhere. Doesn't stop us from riding it, just filling it with green juice all the time.

·
Registered
757 Posts
It's normally the water pump gasket.  The Water Pump is located in the front of the motor, under the pipe.  If it's the outer gasket that's bad, aniti-freeze will leak out the bottom of the cover.  If only your outer gasket is bad, you should be OK to just keep adding anti-freeze.  BE CAREFULL!!  If the inner gasket or other problems exsist, you could be leaking anti-freeze into the motor - BAD.
I just talked to my dealer about replacing the gasket in my '95 and he quoted me around $250.  A good share of that is to pull the motor so it would be cheaper if you just brought the motor in.

·
Registered
767 Posts
We replaced the gasket and a new water pump already and it still seems to be leaking. We haven't torn it apart again yet to really look into the problem. That we plan to do here very soon so the sled is running by first snowfall.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
check the antifreeze drain valve.  Some times they will leak after they are drained.  A little o-ring is in there and they they squished.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 97 ZR 580 EFI and i have had two major problems with it, one, the engine mounts broke and it cracked my clutch, it cost me $800, and now its in the shop for a fried piston and a few other engine problems, and is gonna cost me another $800 to fix that, do any of you recomend selling it and getting a different sled?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts