Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 zr 580 efi and sometimes when I hit the gas, it bogs/hesitates and I have to tap the throttle a few times for it to catch up and get going.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just a simple question, have u replaced your plugs in a while?? Just curious... Mine will do that when the plugs have been in there for a while. Plug caps bad? Wires? What have you tried?? You have old gas? did u put stable in it?? can u tell us what u have tried to correct the problem? Guys here will come up with some crazy ideas how to fix things around here...  
  Example: You don't have enough compression so you need to replace your rings, bore it out, shave the gaskets, pipe it, and clutch it!  lol... J.k.  Some times we get alittle power hungry!  
But try the simple steps first. Never hurts to do that stuff any way.. Tell us what you have tried.. Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I always use fresh 92 octane every weekend and add HEET every other tank or so.  I have also changed the plugs right after it has done it and that hasn't worked either.  I haven't tried new plug wires or anything else.  It normally happens after I slow down and the rpm's go lower than the clutch engagement rpm and I then hit the gas.  That make sense?  hope so, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same sled, and it did this once.  After chasing  spark, fuel pressure, clutching and a lot of other things I found  it to a bad ground.  The ground wire that comes from the chasis to the one of the bolts on the recoil cover.  I just added a star washer and cleaned the surfaces.

Try it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just thought of another thing to check.  

The throttle body boots between the Cyl's and throttle body are prone to cracking.  If this happens it will cause the sled to run lean on idle and low throttle positions.  This can cause the bog that you describe.  

The EFI systems on these sleds are “open” systems, meaning that they do not have an O2 sensor to monitor exhaust gas mixtures. It only adjusts the mixture according to throttle position, engine temp, and RPM.  

If the motor is lean at idle and you open the throttle it takes the computer 50 crank revolutions to react to the change in throttle position.  This will cause the low rpm lean condition to become momentarily worse, and stalling the engine,  until the ECU lengthens the injector pulse enough to get enough fuel in the intake tract all the way to the cylinder.  Then allowing the fuel/air mixture to stabilize and fire.

·
Registered
508 Posts
FYI....The 580's had a slight hesitation to begin with.  You always have to feather the throttle and get the R's up when hammering from a dead stop.  Is this the symptom or is it worse than this?  Did it just start doing this or has it always been there?

The throttle boots on all 580's are definately prone to cracking especially on the under side.  Even if your sled is running good these boots should be checked VERY VERY often.  I learned this the hard way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts