Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a 97 zrt6 that is getting terrible fuel mileage....we're talking like 5-6 mpg. The engine was rebuilt last year and this year the carbs were rebuilt, using stock main jets and 1 size smaller pilot jet. We figured this would fix it, but so far there has been no change, other than there not being a huge smoke cloud on every take off. Where could we be sucking in so much fuel?

To put it in perspective...one day of playing in some powder, he got 25 miles to a tank of fuel!! :cussing:

·
Registered
285 Posts
What mains are you running? I think stock was 340's which was way fat. I ran 310's in mine, 320's if really cold no probs. Make sure your pipes are sealed really good to keep the heat and power in. Also, is your clutching right-if it is way off can have a huge effect on fuel.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to check on the mains...340's I think. I know he's engaging at around 5200rpm though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think you better check the fuel tank and lines for leaks. :0: Kevin

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would have to say if the sled is engaging at 5200 rpm either some reclutched it or the clutch is out of wack. 4200-4500 would sound correct for stock. Maybe some improperly clutched it and it overrevs. I would look in to it. my 96 got 10-12 with pipes and I ran 320's at 9250 rpm. Something is definately not correct. Sad to see a good cat down.

·
Registered
791 Posts
310's on a cold day in Saskatoon guarranty a burn down. I (and many buds) run 330 - 340 year round. Sounds like a leak somewhere. Try running the sled , then parking it on dry concrete and look for gas on the ground. :)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
If it is all stock I would run 320s above 0 and 330s below that. His engagement is a little high also. Sounds like he should play with the primary. What weights and spring is in there?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Pilots 35
air screws ?
slide cutaways 1.5
needles 6DH8-3
tubes P-4
mains 360
this is from brownsliesureworld .com
check for leaks check compression :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
have u checked the reeds this would cause major fuel consumption. how does the sled run? another thing i know it may sound out there but i have seen it before. if the fuel tank cant vent it will siphon out the over flow line..... but check the reeds

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
:) How does it run? Have you checked for a ruptured fuel pump that could be filling the base?
It would be best to figure the problem out before riding much more as theres no doubt that amount of fuel will wash away both the top and bottom end.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
My 96 came with 360 mains stock now I run 330s with no needle adjustment. My clutch engages at 5100 and the rest is history like me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Where is the best place to buy Jets if you need/want to change them?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
277 Posts
I mail order from HPE 1-800-451-5268 or www.hiperf.com I have been ordering parts from HPE for 15 years and never had a problem.
You can also get them from your cat dealer. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also, it could be as simple as the float level not being set correctly. I have seen this give sleds terrible gas mileage before, also foul alot of plugs. The float arm should be set parallel with the bowl. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
If the plugs are totally black, I would say it is the floats. Jets will not make it use that much fuel. It is a big problem your looking for. Either floats or a gas leak or a clutch completely gone. Should be easy to figure out. Something is literally pouring gas out of the tank and either into the motor or onto the ground....Good Luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
there is a couple of details you should include such as elevation,temperature outside even the RE(relative humitidy) Also is the sled hard to start!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts