Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can get a 97 zrt 600 for 2385 if i want it and i have been offerd 1700 trade on my sled is there anything good / bad about this sled it has pipes and has a clutch it also has after market skis not sure what brand but they seem to handle good in the snow it also has 192 studs thanks guys

·
Registered
57 Posts
Team Arctic,

Just a note that non-stock exhaust is illegal here in WI.  I say this NOT to start a discussion on loud pipes, but to just say that a few years back, I got stopped by the DNR up in Boulder Jct on my stock '98 zrt6 because the officer thought my exhaust noise was excessive.  After raising the hood and showing him my stock exhaust, he said ok and let me on my way.  Basically just and FWIW, early model ZRT6's were loud in stock form, with pipes I would imagine that they would be really noisy, depending on the pipe of course.

I've owned a '96 and '98 and currently have a '01 zrt6.  The motors are bullet proof.

David

A

·
0 Posts
I don't know about the 97 but I love my 96, I really hate to be selling it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
We have a 97ZRT6 in our stable and it is the most reliable sled we have!  A little over 7,000 miles on it and no problems other than regular Maint. such as rebuilding the Clutches and Shocks.  In Bone Stock form other than studs, it would smack the crap out of the 700SRX a buddy of ours dumped a ton of money in.  Great sled, I would recommend it to anyone who asked!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
david- are you sure its illegal cuz a friend of mine is a dnr officer and has pipes on his sled..... i dont know about that one you cant have super loud ones i know that but you can have after market pipes theres nothign wrong with them

everyone- it sounds like the 97 is a great sled ill see what i can do thanks for the help !!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I agree that the sled is bullet-proof.  I have only managed to get about 2000 miles on my '97 due to lack of snow these past few seasons, but no probs as of yet(knock on wood).  I have PSI modblaster pipes and clutch kit, Boyeseen reeds, mildly advanced timing, Pro lite pistons and skirts, some mild porting/shaved heads, and geared it down for 1/4 mile and radar runs.  
The baby zerts have tons of potential and are a real contender even in stock form.  If the sled has been taken care of by previous owner and had regular maint. I would snag it at that price, but sounds like you already made up your mind.

Last edited by phazerhater at Aug. 01, 2002, 10:12pm

·
Registered
140 Posts
I also remember a non-stock exhaust issue last year in Wisc. and it had nothing to do with db level,  it was an oem only issue. Maybe someone in Wisc. could research this for us and let us know so we do not get an unwelcome expense.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The earlier ZRT6's were loud in stock form.  My '96 RAPS pretty good.  While filling up at a gas station in Central WI I was approached by a guy.  He wasn't with the DNR but he proceeded to tell me that he maintained the trails in that area and loud sleds were not welcome.  After lifting my hood showing my stock pipes, he walked away mumbling something about Arctic Cat.  I love the sled AND the sound.  No problems.

A

·
0 Posts
jdsmi, you should have told him that you are bringing money to his economy and to stick it up his ...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Team Arctic,

I just got off the phone with the DNR.  Apparently you can have modified exhaust here in WI, as long as it meets the 78 decible limit.  I believe the confusion comes in, in the statue that says "....  No snowmobile shall be modified by any person in any manner that shall amplify or otherwise increase total noise emission above that emitted by the snowmobile as originally constructed, regardless of date of manufacture."

I know the DNR is at odds with the Mfg's regarding the method used for testing noise, something about the J192 method.  Plus, the fact that it's hard to have consistent noise measuring techniques in the field, my guess is that DNR officers in the field use the "No snowmobile shall be modified " part of the law more heavily than the part of trying to decide if it's really louder than what stock is.  

I know some DNR officers are sledheads and would make a good judgement regarding noise levels while other officers wouldn't even bother.  The way the law is written now, and without accurate field testing equipment, it's pretty much a judgement call by the officer.

Below are all the state statue I could find regarding snowmobile noise, as found on the WI state laws web site.

350.09(7)        
(7) Every snowmobile manufactured after July 1, 1972, and offered for sale or sold in this state shall be so constructed as to limit total vehicle noise to not more than 82 decibels of A sound pressure at 50 feet, as measured by society of automotive engineers standards.  Every snowmobile manufactured after July 1, 1975, and offered for sale or sold in this state shall be so constructed as to limit total vehicle noise to not more than 78 decibels of A sound pressure, as measured by society of automotive engineers standards.  No snowmobile shall be modified by any person in any manner that shall amplify or otherwise increase total noise emission above that emitted by the snowmobile as originally constructed, regardless of date of manufacture.

no snowmobile shall be operated.....
350.10(1)(d)        
(d)  In such a way that the exhaust of the motor makes an excessive or unusual noise.

350.10(1)(e)        
(e)  Without a functioning muffler.

David

A

·
0 Posts
I will adhear to the noise laws when I stop getting woke up in the middle of the night by a Harley jammin' down the street not before.  No offense Harley riders.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I agree, I could (should) have said more.  It was one of those situations that caught me totally of guard.  I was on my way before I realized I just got chewed out for riding my stock sled on his trails.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That was rude, PH.  don't know why but it was. Except that I agree, though I love the sound of Harley's, Noise should not be an issue, WHAAAA I 'm a crybaby, whaaa they are noisy, whaaaa, #### them. But then again why cry about the crybabies, LOL

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Except for something breaking on it every year, I really loved my '96 ZRT800.  The exhaust notes were awesome...wish my twin could sound like that.  THe power was awesome, and it rode fine...but I can definitely ride harder trails with my ZR than I could with the ZRT.  If only they would make a tripple EFI 800 in the ZRT chassis w/the ZR suspension...now that would be the ultimate sled for me!!!!!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Well, my knocking on wood didn't work.
  Went out to the garage today to fire up the sled(craved the sound of the 3x3 LOL)lo and behold she wouldn't start. Checked all the common things and all looked well.  Pulled plugs, checked for spark and nothing.  Checked to see if the headlight would flicker a little when it was getting pulled over and nothing.  SO banged on the CDI box a few times and finaly got the light to flicker a little, but still no spark......  First repair I've had to do on her....new CDI.  Glad I found out now though instead of before heading out on a trip!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
guess its a good thing i posted the topic then so you could get it fixed b4 the big snow fall  

1 - 20 of 23 Posts