Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting a 97 zrt that is mostly stock except pipes and i believe a clutch what work or things would i need to get to beable to drag race and have a shot at even gettin close to winning? them little short skis? reeds? dif sus setup so i dont get lift  when i nail the throttle?

A

·
0 Posts
If you want any chance at all you better think about some motor work.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what type of work though like specificly (sp) so basically i stand no chance as it is now hmm thats just great there goes more of my money  on upgrades hehe MORE POWER!!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Lets start with, the motor is not now stock (pipes) now you have to race in another class. I would get a rule book, pick out which class you want to run it in and then do as much as possible for th emost advantage.For less ski lift, I would move the rear arm and also the stop back one hole in your rear susp. Kevin

·
Registered
884 Posts
Team Arctic, you have to let us know what type of racing you want to do.  The 97 ZRT was a good runner, just depends on what you want it to do.  Like sleddinfool said, if you are going to do it competitively on the grass, pick the class you want to run and then go for help.  With the pipes you say are on it, you are already in the Improved Stock class.  If you want to run with the big boys, you better get the motor between 145 and 155 Hp.  Give us a little more info on what you want to do!!!!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys ill get as much info as possible when i get home tonight the rule book on was is gone for updating i tried to get it last night

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">dif sus setup so i dont get lift  when i nail the throttle?[/b][/quote]
lift is good in drag racing, skis on the ground slow you down

·
Registered
533 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (performancex @ Aug. 16, 2002, 11:44am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">lift is good in drag racing, skis on the ground slow you down[/b][/quote]
Not so fast.  If the front end of your sled is in the air, you may have less resistance on the snow, however your track is also being lifted up in the air.

Less Track in the snow, less trackion.  For drag racing you want your ski firmly planted on the snow so you can grab more snow with your track.  Not much good racing if only a small portion of your track is pushing you.

There are suspension coupler kits advailable to help you achive this.  Arctic Cat and Ad Bovion both make these for around 100-150 beans.

Just my two cents.

newf  

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok  what i know is the sled only has pipes nothing else  and i want to drag race what class??  shoudl i get them little mini skis for dragin?

·
Registered
533 Posts
The idea behind drag racing is too win.  Well thats a given, but really.  You have to setup your sled not to be the fastest, but to accelerate the quickest.

Here's some idea's to start with:

Start with removing some weight.  Check with the rule book, see what necessary equipment you sled needs.  Remove everything else.  Ie gauges, cables, extra plastic parts, bumpers, seat, etc.  Lower your suspension.  Couple your rear.  Tie down your front springs with cables.  Get a new clutch and good clutch kit.  There are plently to choose from.  Myself, I like d&d.  Rejet, tune your engine.  make sure you break in your drive belt.  Stud your track, but only stud the inside of the track, (the edges are for turning, your going straight)....New reeds would help, maybe go as far as a nice new billet head with high preformance  domes.  And if your going to go that far, might as well replace your carbs with some high preformance flat slide carbs, port your cylinders, etc, etc.

Just my two cents!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Here's my 2 cents.  Pull the pipes and put all your stock stuff back on.  This way you will be running in the "STOCK" class which is the only place you stand a chance without putting thousands into the motor and chassi, and by that time you my as well have just bought a '96 and modded it.
Stock class is the best place to start out and get a feel for what will need to be done to run with the big dogs.  It will also get you in and open the door to start chummin' with the guys that run Imp. stock and open mod.  Go and pick up bits and peaces from everyone and you will learn allot!!  
As for setup, regardless of what you do(grass, ice) you will want to drop that ETT as much as allowed in that particular class.  Clutching all depends on what distance and surface you will be racing on.

Helps to read everything, just saw you want to drag race.

A few other tips not already mentioned is to jet as lean as you possibly can.  With stock pipes I would go 310 or 320 main and only keep it running for that 1/4 miles and tow it back with a 4x4 or another sled.  Either get the little drag skis, or just use the regular ones and make your own wear rid.  All you need to steer is about a 1" tiny sharp piece on both skis.  Don't run any carbides of course on the skis.  You will have to install a teather switch to race most places, and may have to have a beefier clutch guard depending on class you run in.  For the track, cut off all the lugs or just buy a speed track and run nothing but ice picks or chisels(or both) and I would go anywhere from 168 on up.  And shed as much weight as you can from the sled as mentioned earlier.  I could go on and on about this, but like I said, you should REALY think about putting the stock pipes back on and run it in the stock class and use the first season or two to learn the tricks of the trade first hand and keep your eyes and ears open at the races....

Last edited by phazerhater at Aug. 17, 2002, 1:57pm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts