Snowmobile World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble with my 500 and I'm not sure if I have an engine or clutch problem. My sled accelerates fine however, after it reaches full shift and you let off the throttle and hit it again the RPM falls and does not climb back up. Sled feels sluggish and feels like the engine is loading up, then after about 10 minutes it fouls the spark plugs. I've replaced the spring in the secondary and cleaned both clutches numerous times afterwards the sled works great for about 15 minutes of trail riding, then the problem comes back. Things to note, my engine compression has dropped from 150 - 120 even on both cylinders, and while riding over some drifts my secondary did not back shift and was stuck all prior to replacing the secondary spring, also my primary clutch gets extremely hot, the belt is brand new. Does anyone have any ideas on where I should look?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
This is a tough one but the fouling and your lost compression point to an engine problem. Even with my parade of old rigs I've never had a set of plugs last less than 3 months.

But then again, maybe it's just loading up because it's not backshifting. When you replaced the secondary spring did you do it yourself and are you sure you did it right and sure it was the right spring? The simplest answer, and I hope this is it, is that you have no secondary spring preload. If you know what you are doing and double check it and are sure it's not the secondary spring...I don't know what else to tell you. I have installed my secondary spring improperly a time or two, it happens.

·
Registered
852 Posts
maybe the helix binding, broken shoe or maybe a bad bushing?? i would double check the compression against another guage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe the helix binding, broken shoe or maybe a bad bushing?? i would double check the compression against another guage.[/b]
The spring is right I got it from the dealer and I am the second owner of this sled and the dealer did all the work on it. The spring is in right I am wondering about the preload and am going to recheck it. I normally run a full season on a set of plugs and they usally come out the normal Tann colour they should be. I am a liscensed Motorcycle mechanic and have worked on many sleds and Motorcycle. Used to race Motocross and have a good idea on what I am doing, just the clutch issues can be hard to figure out sometimes. I was thinking I may have a crank seal leak that is allowing injection oil from around the brass water pump gear to be succked into the engine making my mixture oil rich. I also took my primary and secondary into my dealer and he said everything feels ok and I questioned him about the wear on the buttons and shoes and the bushing for the secondary helix, but he seems to give me the cold shoulder since I do my service myself and for some other neighbours in the area so he doesn't like that too much. Thanks for your help you guys reassured what I was thinking kind need a second opinion. I'm going to vac/pressure check my crank seals and as for the compression it was taken with the same gauge both times and my back up gauge reads the same 120.
Thanks again and if you can think of anything else just let me know, I'll keep you guys posted on what I find it may be helpful in the future Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts