Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 SKI DOO FORMULA III 600 DESS LIGHT FLASHES HAD NEW KEY MADE STILL NO FIX BOUGHT A USED POST AND STILL NO CHANGE ANY IDEAS WHERE TO GO FROM HERE?ITS WIFE SLED AND SHE HOUNDING ME TO GET FIXED BEFORE SNOW FLIES

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Follow the wiring harness down from the reed mounted ignition coils to the ECM under the LH side of the engine, You will probably find bare rubbed through wires near the module connector causing the DESS to only allow the engine to "Max Out" at 3500 rpm. Also clean the DESS post with some 000 steel wool. The 1998 had the most problems with wiring which also cooked stators.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Follow the wiring harness down from the reed mounted ignition coils to the ECM under the LH side of the engine, You will probably find bare rubbed through wires near the module connector causing the DESS to only allow the engine to "Max Out" at 3500 rpm. Also clean the DESS post with some 000 steel wool. The 1998 had the most problems with wiring which also cooked stators.[/b]
THANKS ILL TRY IT TOMORROW LET YOU KNOW WHAT IF THATS WHAT I FIND THANKS

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Follow the wiring harness down from the reed mounted ignition coils to the ECM under the LH side of the engine, You will probably find bare rubbed through wires near the module connector causing the DESS to only allow the engine to "Max Out" at 3500 rpm. Also clean the DESS post with some 000 steel wool. The 1998 had the most problems with wiring which also cooked stators.[/b]
more 98's (triples anyhow) than anything I can remember having wiring problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS ILL TRY IT TOMORROW LET YOU KNOW WHAT IF THATS WHAT I FIND THANKS[/b]
OK SO I PULLED APART AND DIDNT FIND ANY BROKEN OR RUBBED WIRES I CAN SEE BUT NOW IT FIRES UP AND RUNS WITH NO ISSUES.IT DID THIS FOR ME LAST YEAR AFTER GETTING NEW TEATHER MADE IT RAN FINE THEN AFTER I SUT IT OFF TO FUEL UP IT DID IT AGAIN AND WOULDNT GO.THEN WE WHERE WIGGLING THE HARNESS ANDSOME HOW SHE RAN TO GET HOME THEN DID THE SAME AGAIN.THATS WHAT HAD GOT ME TO THIS POINT.I DID NOTICE THE DESS LIGHT SLIGHLTY FLICKER AT HIGH RPMS.AT ONE TIME THE STATEOR WAS REPLACE A FEW YEARS BACK.SO THIS COULD ALL STEM FROM A WIRING ISSUE OR IST IT POSSIBLE THE STATER CAN CAUSE THIS OR MAYBE THE CDI BOX SHORTS.DOES ANYONE HAVE A WIRING DIAGRAM I CAN GET TO TRACE WIRES? ITS A CRAP SHOOT.THANKS AGAIN FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I think you should unplug the ECM / DESS module and check the terminals in the plug (terminal drag test using a male terminal inserted into each female socket and noting tension to install / remove). Sometimes the male pins in the module break off the printed circuit board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts