Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 98 mach z with dynoport pipes and boyeseen reeds. My question is everytime I start it up after i have let it sit for a while it revs up to 4000 rpms,if i hit the choke it will rev back down to 1600-2000. And sometime it fouls the plug,but not all the time.The stator has been changed so I know this can't be the problem Does anybody know why this happens? Do I need to drop the pilots.

SWRules

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
sounds to me that it is a lean condition that is causing the high idle, you try turning out the air scew 1/2 to 3/4 turn and see what happens.
When is it fouling spark plugs when you flip on the choke?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TALKED TO ZMACHMAN ON THE PHONE HE THINKS IT IS THE CHOKE BY WHAT HE TOLD ME. I THINK HE'S RIGHT I HAVE NO SLACK IN THE CABLE SO IAM GOING TO CHECK IT OUT MORE TOMMORROW I'LL LET EVERYBODY KNOW WHAT HAPPENS SWRules

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sounds like the air screws are lean, they should be 3.5-4.0 turns out with stock everything. If you are only 1/2-1 turn out you need a bigger pilot jet.
Pipes and reeds has probably leaned it out, keep an eye on your mid range conditions too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adjusted the chokes on the carbs and it fired up on the second pull. Did not foul a plug or rev to 3000-4000 like it has in the past.

THANKS ZMACHMAN SWRules

Z

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by 800ski@Sep 30 2002, 11:20 PM
Adjusted the chokes on the carbs and it fired up on the second pull. Did not foul a plug or rev to 3000-4000 like it has in the past.

THANKS ZMACHMAN SWRules
800ski,

I am happy to hear your Mach Z is running better! Let me know if I can be of further help.....

ZMachMan

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zmachman was that you that replied to my email? About the squish test. Wanted to make sure I do it right. Going to try one more test with a different gauge.

Thanks again SWRules

·
Registered
176 Posts
can`t you perform a squish test with a piece of solder bend and instaled in the plug hole and then turn the engine over by hand and then measure the solder????

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iam not sure? You would think, It would save alot of time and effort. Has anybody done that. Was it accuate?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have not done that but i`am pretty sure i saw that or read it some where. it makes sence to me.i know on the pro stock circle cars we use clay to check the valve to piston spec.

Z

·
0 Posts
You can perform a Squish Test, by placing the solder in the plug hole and trying to align it over the Piston Pins, but accuracy is not guaranteed. If you want to be accurate and insure a precise Squish test, then removing the head is the best method. Yes, it is a little more time consuming, but I think if your going to perform a squish test, then you might as well take the time and do it with precision and accuracy. JMHO (Just my Humble Opinion)

Yes 800ski, That was I who replied to your other question! :)

ZMachMan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts