Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a good deal on one and I like to have info before making the move .Would a 1.25 track be too much for it?Does anyone have a good clutch set up?are they reliable?What's the top speed?Is it the same engine as a 01 ?Anything else I should know? Thanks

·
Registered
660 Posts
Theres one guy that always brings his over for yearly maintenance at my shop and I have worked on that machine since it was new. It is a very good machine.

Very, very economical. Sometimes you wonder if the oil pump is malfunctioning.

Sled has plenty of low end grunt, really geared towards tight twisty trails. Has a gear ratio of 1.89. For the first time in my life I actually think I could gear this sled UP!

Tops out about 90+ mph. but doesn't take too long to get there.

Not a real top end machine Max RPM is 7800. But it runs like a twin should.

Clutch calibration is pretty good for what the sled is good at. Twisty trails.

Suspention is not so great. It's the sc10-II

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
they are great sleds should have the bugs out by now.some came with bad set-up's from the factory.the rear skid is not the sc-10II ,it is the sc-10 acm.the ets kit from a.d. boivin helps that slid out greatly.like was stated top end is around 90-95 mph getting to 90 quickly and gaining the rest slowly.the engine is rotary valve 500 not reed as the 01 500 is.and it will run with bigger sleds to around 75-80 mph.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Your right dooman,

It's the sc10 with acm.

I get confused with bombardier sc10's (10,10 acm, 10-II, 10-III)

nevertheless, It's still not a great suspension.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
the 98 didn't run as well as other years previous and newer. They didn't have the clutching or gearing down from the factory. My daughter has a 99 that runs circles around my buddies 98. I'm not saying there isn't a fix, just saying it can get better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just may throw in a goodwin clutch kit if it's still available.Thanks for all the info guys,anybody else? :D

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Ladyk had a 98 form 500 pretty similar machine. There was clutching and carb updates for those machines. Which definately improved them. Dont run the gold belt on it as it will rob you of 5mph top end Just run the regular belt. Otherwise a bulletproof machine.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
blk800,I ran the goodwin kit with great success.the rave springs on some of the 98 500's were wrong as well,but all of the issues I know of are covered here.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Originally posted by Mighty RX-1@Nov 5 2002, 01:29 PM
the 98 didn't run as well as other years previous and newer.  They didn't have the clutching or gearing down from the factory.  My daughter has a 99 that runs circles around my buddies 98.  I'm not saying there isn't a fix, just saying it can get better.

Hey Mighty,

Can you shed a little light on what exactly the gearing and clutching changes you did to your 99. I don't see the difference and I have the manual in front of me.

According to the 98 and 99 repair manuals these are the specs:

Gear ratio 43/23
Secondary spring - beige
Cam angle - 50 deg
Primary ramps - 281
Primary spring - violet/yellow

I see no difference in the factory setup from 98 or 99. I would be interested to know how yours is set-up. Could you post them?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts