Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I just want to ask if anyone has any pointers for me. I have a 98 mxz583 I bought in feb 2000. anyways, when I bought it, it would go to 80mph fast, then limp to 100mph. Now last year, I went on a trip and it got worse. It now goes to 60mph fast, then limps to 80mph top speed. A new belt sits down in the secondary clutch about 3/16 of an inch at idle. I remember it used to be 1/8 above the secondary before. It doesn't abnormally wear the belts.

I figure the clutches have to come apart, and I am going to do that very soon. I bought Aaen's clutch tuning book, to use as a guide. Anyways, I am very mechanically inclined, but all my experience is with cars. Is there anything I need to know before I tear into this, or just go and see what is wrong?

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong with the secondary? I will keep you guys updated on the progress of this.

Steve

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
You've never cleaned out the clutches on it? Depending on how many mile you've put on, it could be worn out buttons, or just dirty clutches. Sounds like maybe the helix isn't sliding all the way out? Another thing is that maybe it just needs a new belt if you haven't put a new one on since 2000.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also check the bushings on both clutches to make sure there not binding. This is an area that
gets overlooked far too often.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. I have put new belts on it, so that is not it.

I have probably put 2500 miles on it since feb 2000, and I have not done a thing to it in the clutch dept. It had 2500miles on it when I bought it.

Steve

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I took the secondary apart about 4 weeks ago. Boy did I have trouble.

The secondary was siezed on the brake shaft. It took about an hour of prying and struggling, but it finally came off. Then I took the spring clip off the helix, and the helix would not come off. It too was siezed onto the clutch shaft. After another hour of prying with 3 crow bars, the helix came off. Damage to it was minimal by a couple nicks here and there. The cam shoes were worn a bit, but not too bad. I replaced them anyways.

I cleaned all surfaces with emery cloth, reinstalled cam shoes, dremelled any nicks and scratches I caused by the dissassembly, lubed everything with dry graphite lube, and reinstalled. I noticed It had a 50 degree helix in it. Is this correct?? It had an off white colour of spring too.

Anyways, it seems to work correctly, I took it for a 60 mile spin on sunday night/monday morning.

Steve

·
Registered
261 Posts
sounds like you did everything right except for the lube, these clutches ard designed to run dry, other than some never seeze on the shaft where the helix goes on and on the jack shaft, also the preload needs to be set at about 15lbs. and the correct helix is a 50 and the biege spring is also correct dont put to much no seez on otherwise it just throws it all over, now is time to clean the drive clutch too thats probably as bad

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew it wasn't supposed to be lubed, but that dry graphite spray I used was pretty thin. it comes off on your fingers. And it is not a wet lube. I don't think it will be a problem at all.

I put neversieze on the jackshaft, but not on the helix shaft.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts