Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first sled ever and hope to get it out this weekend, but I have a small problem. First, I've never worked on one of these before and I searched back to 2004 without finding anything directly related to my problem.
The sled fires up great and apperently has power(only ridden it up my driveway so far) but I can't get the head/tail lights to come on or the speedo/tach to work. I don't even know where to start looking. Is there a fuse somewhere? I checked for loose connections and everything seems fine, but I've probably missed something.
Any help would be great!
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had that same sled and had that problem. it was some chafed wire insulation for hand warmers where it is fed thru a wire loop on the steering colum just under the console. it would ground out and cause this prob. so i would check there first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had that same sled and had that problem. it was some chafed wire insulation for hand warmers where it is fed thru a wire loop on the steering colum just under the console. it would ground out and cause this prob. so i would check there first.[/b]

Thanks Levi, I'll have a look tomorrow. I looked a little today and did find a random ground wire unhooked under the handlebar cover. Looked like a ground strap if that makes sense. didn't seem to be touching anything else though.

I also found 2 loose spade connectors on the valve cover. I'll be replacing those tomorrow, but I couldn't see that being the problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
the problem i had was a power wire grounded causing a short in the system therefore the lights and tach would cut out, but the speedo is mechanical so if it doesnt work there may be another issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I found the problem. The previous owner said it might be an unplugged wire somehwere. He forgot to mention the day the sled starting smoking and smelling like electronics.

The wiring harness was melted right where it went under the motor. Had to replace 6" worth of wires, 11 or 12 wires out of the group.

Now my lights and gauges work!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts