Snowmobile World banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if this is a normal occurance for these 98 XC 700's.

I've owned 2 of them, and they both seem to have these symptoms:

1) When starting it in the morning, after I pull the chord, it will miss and fart (not as loud as a backfire), just a pooof like I'm blowing air through the muffler, but won't start. It does this 4-5 times, then manages to start.

2) After riding the sled and then shutting it down, if I wait 2-3 minutes and try starting it again, it won't start right away. I have to pull 3-4 times, and even then, when it seems like it'll start, I have to give it some gas to keep it at idle.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had a '98 XC7 also, and I remember the ill starting, and low speed driveability issues that you are describing. I remember going one size larger on the pilot jets which helped a lot. ( you may only need to richen up the air/fuel mixture screws). One note on the '98's, they never came with a thermostat. Polaris had an update kit which added the thermostat. The kit was many pieces, and took me all day to install. The kit was about $125, but what a major difference! My sled would start with a couple of pulls, and would only have to rev the sled cold for a little bit, than it would idle cleanly. All the cold "popping" while trying to drive at low speed was gone. Good luck,
Rich K.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I'm definately not a mechanically sound person when it comes to sleds. If I was to bring it to a local shop to have them increase the size of the jets by 1, how much would something like that run me... $$$$ wise?

Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would take a guess about 1.5 hours of labor to change the pilot jets. I would talk to your local dealer first, and explain your problem. The pilot jets might not be your specific issue. I would feel bad if I helped you spend $80 in labor changing jets, anf later finding out you actually had a $2.79 fouled sparkplug! LOL
Rich K.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hehe.. it's definately not a fouled spark plug.. as once she gets going.. she's going good.

Would it be bad to leave the sled like this for awhile; farting, burping.. pooofing at startup?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just bought a 98 xc700 at auction, yes i found she pre- fires on start up but does start on 2nd pull, and does idle a little bad- have found that u need to ck. the throttle switch to be sure it is seated correctly and seems to start much better, but boy does she go when ya lay the hammer down!!!! pete

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would have your pilot jets increased and also have the dealer set your timming as well. your engine timming is important. a tune up is what you need, BUT make sure you stress that you want the pilots increased and your timming checked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just wondering if this is a normal occurance for these 98 XC 700's.

I've owned 2 of them, and they both seem to have these symptoms:

1) When starting it in the morning, after I pull the chord, it will miss and fart (not as loud as a backfire), just a pooof like I'm blowing air through the muffler, but won't start. It does this 4-5 times, then manages to start.

2) After riding the sled and then shutting it down, if I wait 2-3 minutes and try starting it again, it won't start right away. I have to pull 3-4 times, and even then, when it seems like it'll start, I have to give it some gas to keep it at idle.

Thanks for your input.
I have to same issue starting the sled but when I ride it than shut it off i than start it, it misses once than backfires and than runs like normal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts