Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a sled for the winter-a 98 XC700 with 3800 miles. The engine is all stock and it has 144 picks. Has any one had problems with these? Anything to look out for, preventative maintenence, performance tips etc....? thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
on maintance, replace the water pump belt, that belt drives the oil pump and the water pump,if it breaks it will cook your motor big time. i replace mine every 2 years. (if you seen one of those belts you will see what i mean)
if its got stock cluthing its going to be a dog. get a clutch kit from hot seat or e.p.i,it makes a world of difference.
run a boost bottle to clean up the bottom end from running rich.
check your reeds to make sure they are still good,the motor back fires a lot when warming up,takes out the reeds sometime.
slp makes a power pack kit for keihin carbs,it makes the motor respond better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's good advice on the water pump belt. i actually had a 98 xc600 that broke one last year. i havent heard alot of guys changing those but had considered it. i may do that before i run it this year. how hard is a clutch kit to install? do i need any special tools? do they really make that much difference on a stock sled?

·
Registered
52 Posts
polaris was way off the mark on the clutching that year, the difference between stock clutching and a clutch kit is night and day difference. i ran a hotseat clutch kit in mine,real happy with mine.
clutch parts are easy to put in,use basic hand tools,just watch when you take off the primary spring cover plate there is an x on the cover and the spider,this is there for balance of the clutch,sometimes if you run a belt to the service limits you have to reindex the clutch for the belt clearance.most people dont do this,but you got to watch this on a used sled.if all three x s match just keeep them lined up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That was a very good suggestion ves, another thing to watch is if you ever snap your pull cord, and it retracts into the recoil it is very likely that it will have broke that belt, so be sure to check it out when fixing your pull cord

·
Registered
348 Posts
getting a clutch puller will make it easier to put in a primary spring by removing clutch, take out stock spring put in new one, and put your weight on clutch on the ground by using your knee to tighten bolts it is easier than using only your hands.
check out our website it has some info www.cseracing.com

·
Registered
468 Posts
i had two 98 xc 700 's they were both great sleds went like hell.i also installed a hot seat clutch kit on mine and it made a world of difference,but mine were also great stock.both mine had to have new reeds,there was also a stator recall on the 98's one of mine went out on my first 98.besides that i put 3000 trouble free miles on one and 5000 on the other and they never let me down once plus i won a lot of races on the trail and across the lake.i have since gone to a new 2000 xc700sp that i purchased new in 2000 and its clutching is much more precise from factory my clutch kits hardly made a noticable difference.it now has 2600 miles on it and all trouble free.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The '98 was the most radical domestic 700 made, they had a wicked midrange hit, because of a very agressive timing curve. so hard that the clutching had a slight over rev around 5000 rpm. My biggest issue was the low speed drivability. Mine would always pop and sputter when warming up. The '98 had no thermostat, but Polaris made a thermostat update kit. A major difference after I installed the kit. The exhaust was a little loud, and produced an odd resonance, but you will get used to it. I never did any clutch work, as it was no big deal to me. That sled would consistantly pull 115 on the speedo, bone stock, and I never blew a belt. I have driven many 700's after '98, and nothing hits like the '98 (stock for stock) Good luck with the new ride.
Rich K.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Does it have the 220 or 824 engine? You can tell by looking on the side of the cylinder at the serial #. It will end in either 220 or 824. The 220s were the snowcheck sleds and had different porting that is supposed to give them a lot more low end. Check mcbperformance.com for help with that sled, he owned one with the 220s and knows them inside out. I put a clutch kit from him in my 2000 700 last year and it really woke it up, he's a good guy to deal with too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
007 is right on telling you to check the cylinders to see what motor it is because this will tell you what clutching to use.I also had trouble with mine on cold starts,popping and backfiring,delta reeds cured that problem,the stators have been know to go on 98's as mentioned before,mine did. As far as MCB,I tried one of there clutch kits and it wasn't very good at all,just my opinion,if you want a good clutch setup just ask in a new post,it might save you a lot of hassle trying to find the best one to buy,I know someone will give you a good recipe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 98 xc 600 and the my thumb would give out in 50 miles. I cut 3 coils off each carb slide spring. I also would get gas smell after filling up. Discovered gas
would come out of vent line for about 20 miles. I ended up pluging vent line and
drilling a 1/16" hole in the top of the clear plastic of the fill cap.

·
Registered
95 Posts
At 3800 miles I would go through both clutches if they havent been done yet. buttons/bushings/rollers. And this is a great time to put in a clutch kit! I have a 98 700 and I think you'll like this machine. I've ridden the new ones and for the money I can't see updating, even the bigger 800's don't seem any faster. The ride is a little nicer but I can live with mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts