Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angry: Any help for a triple plug eater? I have a 91 Indy 650, and a 2001 XCF 440 - that chew through far less plugs than my '98 triple! it depends on the mood of it - but can happen at a cold start (season of sitting), over night stop, or, a few hour stop. Other than buying a few stocks in NGK - I could use some help on the head scratcher!

Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
IT COULD BE 3 DIFFERENT THINGS GIVING YOU THIS PROBLEM, FIRST I WOULD CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR OIL INJECTION IS SETUP TO HIGH, THEN CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR RUNNING THE PROPER JETS AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE TIGHT, THEN CHANGE YOUR NEEDLE AND SEATS IF YOU KEEP FLOODING WHEN TRYING TO START IT, REMOVE THE 3, 10MM BOLTS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CRANKCASE TO SEE IF THE CRANKCASE IS FULL OF GAS, THERE IS ONE PER CYLINDER AND BE CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE THE SMALL WASHERS WHEN YOU TAKE THE BOLTS OUT. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try turning off your gas everytime you stop for more than a couple of minutes. If this makes the plug fouling better, put Viton Needle and seat in the carbs. Other than that Br9ev plugs will also help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You do not mention where you are, or at least I did not see where. Anyhow in Northern Lower MI I ran 320 main jets, stock pilots, stock needle position, and air screws at 1 2/3 turns out with excellent results. The oil injection was set just a touch leaner than spec. I also ran a primary spring with more engagement pretension-can not remember the rate but something comparable to a comet yellow-green rate worked really good. My wife loved the sled-too bad it got roasted in my garage fire on Feb. 26,2002....RIP '98 XLTSP.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 95 XLT that did the same thing ,it was the choke cable adjustment ,also there was grease in the control box that when cold didnt allow the choke to close all the way.(actually they are enrichers not chokes)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think those model years had a bullitin out on plug fouling. They recomended using champion N2C instead of NGK BR9ES. If your inlet valves in carbs are not leaking by and chokes are adjusted right the champion plugs should fix the problem... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts