Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my Yellowstone vacation in two weeks, I'll be renting a 98 Yamaha Mountain Max sled for four days.  How well do these perform?  Any quriks that I need to know about being away from the sport for the last 5 years? Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
287 Posts
depends on snow conditions. I have a 01 MM700. I will say it will go thru anything!! I have been in fresh deep powder and you have to stear with your feet. if your in 2-3ft powder or more, i find if you stand on the rear of the sled, if you lift your left leg and lean a little to the right, it will go right, and so on. your stearing it with the track, I have had snow going over the windshield!  Another thing to get used to, depending on how the track is setup, and snow conditions, you can't really give it gas in a turn, they are really responsive and it lifts the ski's off the snow and you end up going straight!! it takes a little to get used to. They also like to ride on one ski a lot. you think your going to tip but you won't the sway bar stops it. You will enjoy it, its a bad ### machine, hope there is a lot of powder, then it will really blow your mind!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the input.  I forgot to mention that these will be groomed trails.  Sledders are restricted to the groomed trails only in Yellowstone, and are restricted to running the posted speed limits - mostly 45 mph.  

·
Registered
72 Posts
With a "98" mm you'll probably love the ride & handling, but don't venture into eny deep stuff

there are big differrences from the 97-99's to the 00-02's, but if all you're doing is trail riding you'll have a great time.
Just one question, Why travel so far just to go trail riding

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (stckscks @ Jan. 28 2002, 1:58pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">With a "98" mm you'll probably love the ride & handling, but don't venture into eny deep stuff

there are big differrences from the 97-99's to the 00-02's, but if all you're doing is trail riding you'll have a great time.
Just one question, Why travel so far just to go trail riding
[/b][/quote]
I am almost obsessed with Yellowstone.  I've been there four times, all in summer.  I've been wanting to do a winter trip for many years.  Last summer I found out about the snowmobiling ban and decided that I needed to get up there now instead of later.  If I went later, I would be reduced to riding around the park on a glorified bus.  No thanx.  I am also a person of very limited experience at best.   I had one sole season on the Deere before having to move south and away from my beloved mountains.  It's been 5 years since I've climbed on a machine, and I want the more tightly controlled environment within the park to get my "snowfeet" back in practice.  Speeds are kept to a maximum of 45 mph in the park, and are supposedly VERY strictly enforced.

I will very likely go back up there again next season as well since as things now stand, unless the regulations are overturned, it will be the last, and @ only 50% of this seasons attendance.  Once I get more experienced with running newer equipment, and less likely to become a problem for the highly experienced riders, I'll then look into checking out other areas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts