Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was painting the pipes on my sleds the other day and noticed that the Y exhaust manifold doesn't seem to fit properly in the ZL pipe. On my ZR and my buddies 99 ZL 500 the Y pipe/gasket fits nicely into the female pipe. However on my ZL the Y pipe/gasket just butts up against the pipe. It's almost like the pipe is missing a half inch of material where it flares open to accept the Y pipe. Is this normal for the 98's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like I'll be looking for a new pipe. After further inspection it looks like that portion of the pipe was cut off and flared. So it really doesn't seal properly. Anyone know why someone would do such a thing? I couldn't come up with a reason!

·
Registered
234 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I have heard of people cutting about an inch out of that part of the pipe to increase power. I read about it I think on the ski-doo page in a past thread....I don't know how or why it works....anybody out there that can shed some light on this subject?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insight, anyone else got anything on this one. I'm off to look for a stock pipe this afternoon at Hudon's Sled Salvage. However if this is a valid and tested performance mod I would leave it as is. Just want to know if jetting changes are required!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by caper711cc@Nov 14 2002, 05:11 PM
Just go out and buy the D.D. super single period.It works.
But it's the wifes sled:

1. She won't like it!
2. She doesn't need it!
3. She don't like when I #$%* with her sled!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have the stock 500 pipe from my 00 zr. Give me a PM if your interested. I wasn't planning on selling it but what do you think its worth.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Local machine shop is going to fix the pipe for less than $30.
Saved me from buying a new one or waiting for a salvage one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Machine Shop messed up. I told him a 1/2 inch flare and he welds on 1 inch. If I get longer springs it will probably fit up however now the pipe is 1/2" longer than it was before. Will this have any ill effects on the motor and performance? Will it run leaner, richer or neither?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts