Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 ZL500 with 3K that seems to get much worse gas mileage than anyone I've ridden with. The sled also leaves a good smoke clould when I take off. I had the oiler turned down and it still seems to smoke quite a bit. I've been told this is the way these sleds are and to upgrade to something with exhaust valves.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have a 00zr500 which is basically the same thing. There is not really an exaust valve on that engine. I'm thinking the person was refering to the APV on the 01and02 500s which you can't upgrade to. As far as gas mileage that is a fact of having a 500. I average 8-10 mpg and I wiegh a little over 200. The bad gas mileage is because that little engine works so hard. If you aren't worried about bottom end you can do some work with the clutches to get better mileage. As far as the smoking goes though something is definetly out of tune.

·
Registered
185 Posts
What Main jets are you using? If you are using the stock ones, 360's, I beleive, you can safely go two sizes smaller, just don't go cooking across a lake at WFO throttle, for 10 miles in 10 below degree weather, or POOF.....

I was getting around 8 or 9 mpg, and in changing the jets, and riding the throttle a little easier, I managed to get around 11 or so MPG.... not a stellar improvement, but not too shabby. It also brought out the midrange better too..cleaned it up, more snap..... just goes to show how rich they make em from the factory.

Besides changing the jets, I would make sure the carbs are good and clean, and that no cables are sticking (choke, etc). If you don't feel comfortable in doing any of this, find someone who has done it before, or take it to your dealer...

·
Registered
121 Posts
My wife has a 98 500 zl also. Here's what I 've done with her's: I lowered the main jet size by one ( you could go two sizes easy ) lowered the engagement with a different spring, double checked the oil injector and it runs very good. Mileage is 8-9. Now when I first bought it it smoked alot, the funny thing was the smoke smelled kinda sweet. I ended up changing the head and base gaskets ( it had a coolant leak), that solved that problem. It still smokes more than my 99 600 but it really doesn't use that much oil. This year I'm putting a tempa flow on my 600 because it's a gas hog also and I have a clutch kit that tends to use more gas. Read up the tempa flow it sounds like a good way to go. If you want more info on it, go to totallyamaha.com for some reason there seems to be a lot of info on that site or go to Holtzman Engineering.com good luck that a nice sled, I'm sure you can get it where you want.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Johnny did you ever try moving th e-clip up on your 600. I think we talked about this last season. Rather than spending the cashola on the tempa flow. Last season I ran e-clip position 2 and 330 main jets with no problems. It was a warm season last year so I'm going to go to 340 mains for this year just to be safe and account for the e-clip change. I'm clutched as well with an Orange spring and I think 51.5 weights. Not sure if the secondary is modified. Do you know what weights you run? Just curious. But my changes boosted me into the teens! Both sleds are definitly rich from the factory. I pulled the pipes to paint them and they are full of carbon and the pistons/plugs are always wet.

BTW neither of my sled smoke a lot! Must be something wrong!

·
Registered
121 Posts
zr600zr500, I never did those changes. It sounded like you were still lean in the midrange. As I recall you said that your plugs were kinda white in the midrange when it was not very cold out. At that time I didn't feel it was the way to go. We should compare notes after we get some riding in. I still want to do something to the wifes sled ( using mine a the test sled ). Nice hearing from you again keep in touch, were basically riding the same stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts